The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New Releases from Marisa Cuomo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

WTN: New Releases from Marisa Cuomo

by Andrew Bair » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:52 pm

October 4, 2013 – New Releases from Marisa Cuomo, Vintages, Belmont, MA
Thanks as always to the staff at Vintages for the opportunity to try the always exciting wines from Marisa Cuomo. As always, these are impressive, terroir-driven wines that show a very different side of Campania than the better known wines of Taurasi. Having followed these for the past few years, I am very certain that Marisa's wines would be better known if they were easier to find in the U.S.
Aside from the Fior'duva and the Riservas, these sell for $25 or less, making them an excellent value.

If any of you are planning to visit the Costa d’Amalfi, definitely go to this winery - I'd love to visit!

2012 Costa d’Amalfi DOC Ravello Bianco
60% Falanghina/40% Biancolella. Moderately full-bodied, chalky, roundish, nicely balanced, with good acidity; shows notes of white and citrus fruits, ocean air, and white flowers. Excellent.

2012 Costa d’Amalfi DOC Furore Bianco
60% Falanghina/40% Biancolella. Moderately full-bodied, nicely balanced, floral/mineral, with white fruit flavors, and saline and anise notes. Very good/excellent; I just liked the Ravello a bit more.

2010 Costa d’Amalfi Furore DOC Bianco “Fior d’Uva”
The flagship wine of Marisa Cuomo, and one of the great dry white wines of Italy in my opinion. 40% Ripoli, 30% Fenile, and 30% Ginestra - not grapes that you will see anywhere else. Full-bodied, round, with good acidity; lightly honeyed, with just a bit of oak; mineral, saline, with white fruit, citrus, and floral notes. Excellent.

2012 Costa d’Amalfi DOC Rosato
50% Aglianco/50% Piedirosso. Earthy/mixed berry nose. Full-bodied, lightly spicy, mineral, with red berry and plum notes. Pretty serious; very good+.

2012 Costa d’Amalfi DOC Furore Rosso
50% Aglianco/50% Piedirosso. Medium-bodied, with good acidity; earthy, somewhat meaty, with red berry, baking spice, and mineral notes. Very good.

2009 Costa d’Amalfi Ravello DOC Rosso Riserva
70% Piedirosso/30% Aglianico. Medium-bodied, more structured, with grippy tannins; just lightly oaky, with raspberry and black plus flavors, plus notes of currants, mnerals, and baking spices. Excellent.

2009 Costa d’Amalfi Furore DOC Rosso Riserva
50% Aglianco/50% Piedirosso. This is the first time that I have tried this bottling. Peppery nose. Fuller, more tannic, lightly oaky, with mixed berry, plum, and baking chocolate flavors, plus herbal and leathery notes. Excellent.