The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

WTN: 59th Street Heiligenstein

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:29 am

...feelin' GruVe...

2007 Weingut Hirsch Grüner Veltliner Zöbinger Heiligenstein - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (10/8/2013)
I had read a number of notes several years ago about this wine being closed, so left it for a bit to evolve. Well this bottle sure as heck was not closed. It was actually still quite primary, with lots of white peach, green, leafy elements, and a notable fruity sweetness. There's good minerality here as well. It sure isn't suffering from its screw cap closure.
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN: 59th Street Heiligenstein

by John S » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Love Hirsch, and the Heiligenstein vineyard! Had the 2005 a few weeks ago, and it was a very impressive dry riesling (drier than i thought it would be).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

Chapel Hill, NC

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:26 pm

John S wrote:Love Hirsch, and the Heiligenstein vineyard! Had the 2005 a few weeks ago, and it was a very impressive dry riesling (drier than i thought it would be).

Me too. I was very surprised with the 05 riesling being so dry and restrained about a month ago.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:47 pm

2005 is an interesting vintage, in that many producers/sites have shown a lot of botrytis, making the wines sweet and/or heavy.

Finding a truly dry 2005 is a real feat.
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.