The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Visiting Ribera del Duero

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Visiting Ribera del Duero

by Shaji M » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14 am

We plan to spend a few days in Ribera del Duero in mid-November. After shaking off jet lag for a day or two, we will drive to Ribera del Duero and taste some wines. Any recommendations would help. We will end our trip in Lisbon and the plan is to drive from Salamanca to Lisbon. It should be interesting! I have mined the collective wisdom of this forum before and thanks to all again!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Visiting Ribera del Duero

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Lots of info on this UK thread. Scroll down for a whole bunch of info.

http://www.wine-pages.com/cgi-bin2/ulti ... 813#000000

Also see>

http://www.wine-pages.com/cgi-bin2/ulti ... 536#000000
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:49 am

Hi,

We visited the region in April 2013 and then continued to Rioja.
Our local importers organized a couple of visits for us and we did the rest.
For Vega Sicilia and Alion you need a recommendation.

We stayed in Peñafiel in a basic B&B, which was clean, quiet and very friendly called Hostal Rural La Ribera.
We took 5 rooms and were the only guests.
Breakfast was good and we also had dinner there twice and opened the vintage bottles we picked at the local store.
We visited:

BODEGAS MAURO SA
Vega Sicillia & Alion
Emilio Moro
Matarromera/ Emina
Aalto

I can send more information and restaurant recommendations in a private message.

Eli
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Our experience suggests that reservations are needed at most places, and sometimes a recommendation from someone (a distributed, e.g.). The tasting room drop-in experience is not the norm.

We really enjoyed Salamanca. And we stopped in Segovia before heading to Peñafiel. If you can work that stop in, you won't regret it.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:23 am

Bob,
Thank you. Lots of information in that thread. Interesting that one of the posters mention about trying the Joven wines for cost reasons. I don't recollect seeing any Joven Riberas in the local stores!

Eli,
Thanks for the recommendations. Vega Sicilia is not taking any visitors at this time of the year. The nice lady from Emilio Mora is trying to veer us towards Cepa21 a "modern" take on the Emilio Mora wines and I am not entirely convinced about that . We are planning to stay for a few days in Aranda del Duero. It seems like most places are closed on Mondays! Did you get a chance to visit any of the local weekly markets while you were there?

James,
I agree that calling and getting a reservation is the way to go. On our drive to Salamanca, if time permits, we will try to make a detour through Toro. I will try to fit Segovia in, but given the short time (and we are also spending a day in Burgos with some old friends), it might be tough one. Thank you.
-Shaji