The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly LasMadres Syrahs...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Mostly LasMadres Syrahs...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:09 pm

We tried last night (10/30/13) Mostly LasMadres Syrahs:
1. NicholsonRanch Syrah BennettVlly (14.8%; http://www.NicholsonRanch.com; 219 cs; SyrahNoir and 877 clones;
25% new Fr.oak) 2006
: Very dark color; very strong blackberry/Syrah classic cold-climate/black pepper
strong Rhonish/espresse/smokey/roasted bit black olive tapenade complex beautiful nose; fairly tart
intense blackberry/Syrah cold-climate/black pepper quite Rhonish/pungent/roasted complex flavor w/ light/
smooth tannins; very long/lingering cold-climate/cracked black pepper/bit olive tapenade strong blackberry/
Syrah/spicy complex finish w/ light/well-integrated tannins; a beautiful cold-climate Syrah probably at its
peak and should go another few yrs. $38.00
blackberry/Syrah w/ light/drying tannins; no evident cold-climate character and starting to dry out; much
simpler than the other NicholsonRanch Syrahs. $40.00
black olive tapenade strong Rhonish/roasted/smokey/espresso bit smokey/BarBQue sauce some blackberry/
boysenberry/Syrah complex wonderfully aromatic nose; very strong Rhonish/espresso/roasted/black olive
tapenade strong blackberry/Syrah/cracked pepper/very spicy quite complex flavor w/ light/smooth/graceful
tannins; very long/lingering Rhonish/roasted/espresso/olive tapenade strong spicy/blackberry/Syrah finish
w/ smooth/light tannins; a spectacular Calif Syrah loaded w/ Rhonish character. $35.00
Syrah/spicy light toasty/oak/pungent slight Rhonish/roasted flavor w/ light/smooth tannins; long spicy/
blackberry/blueberry/Syrah light toasty/charred/oak very light Rhonish/roasted finish w/ light/smooth tannins;
more Calif Syrah in style, little cold-climate character, and much less Rhone character; not nearly as
interesting as the spectacular '05. $35.00
peppery/blackberry/Syrah/spicy very aromatic flavor w/ light/delicate tannins; very long quite floral/violets/
lilacs/spicy some blueberry/blackberry/Syrah/peppery slight brett/pungent finish w/ light/smooth tannins;
a lovely perfumed/aromatic/elegant/floral Syrah that speaks strongly of PeayVnyd Syrah. $47.00 (SWC)
flavor w/ light tannins; med.long soft bit funky/burning metal/ozone/pungent/graphite rather ripe/blackberry/
Syrah finish w/ light tannins; emphasis is on ripe Syrah fruit and some strange graphite/mineral things
therein but a rather interesting Syrah. $27.50 (MX/Enoteca)
blackberry/Syrah bit pencilly/oak slight hot/alcoholic finish w/ very light tannins; emphasis is on ripe fruit
and not much/any LasMadres/cold-climate character. $nc (SVvKZ)
black pepper quite attractive nose that speaks quietly of LasMadres; bit soft strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah/
spicy light green olive/black pepper/cold-climate bit complex lovely flavor w/ smooth/graceful tannins; very
long strong blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/very spicy light peppery/green olive finish w/ light tannins; speaks
quietly of LasMadres Syrah and more like Paso winemaking; quite a lovely/fully-mature Syrah. $30.00 (WoP)
soft/smooth tannins; very long blueberry/Syrah/blackberry rather olive tapenade/black pepper slight Rhonish/
espresso rather complex finish w/ smooth/well-integrated tannins; speaks loudly of both Syrah fruit and
LasMadres terroir; fully-mature lovely Syrah. $39.00
mineral/graphite complex flavor w/ modest/low-key tannins; very long/lingering tart/tangy strong blueberry/Syrah/
blackberry light olive tapenade/black pepper structured/balanced complex flavors w/ modest tannins; probably
near its peak and can go another 3-4 yrs; a beautiful cold-climate Syrah and textbook LasMadres. $nc (J&JP)
green olive/black pepper/cold-climate slight Rhonish/roasted/espresso complex flavor w/ light/smooth/gentle
tannins; very long/lingering strong blueberry/blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/ripe light Rhonish/roasted some
black pepper/olive tapenade balanced/complex finish w/ smooth/graceful tannins; speaks loudly of ripe Syrah
w/ a strong LasMadres/cold-climate undertone; a classic LasMadres that'll go on another 3-6 yrs. $nc (J&JP)
Syrah/black cherry cola/licorice light toasty/oak finish w/ smooth tannins; little cold-climate character;
not nearly as interesting as the one I had a few weeks ago. Costigan mystery.
boysenberry/Syrah/jammy/RCCola bit hot/alcoholic light toasty/oak finish w/ light tannins; not doing well
w/ age and the overripe character starting to dominate. $40.00 (vSC)
_____________________________________________________________________________________
And the usual bloviations from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. LasMadres: I first had a LasMadres Syrah made by BryanKane/VIE just as the vnyd was coming on-line.
I was mightly impressed by the wine and made an appt to visit John&Jean Painter out there on my next
visit. It's a beautiful sited vnyd, in a large bowl, right there in the Carneros a few miles to the
West of the HudsonVnyd. Driving across the Carneros from Napa, you pass LeeHudson's Ranch w/ the
Hermitage up on the hillside. Turning onto the NapaRd to go the back way into Sonoma, at the dairy
barns, the NicholsonRanch is right there at the intersection on your right. The next road down takes
you back south to the LasMadres vnyd at the end of HerschelRd.
LasMadres is planted in two separate blocks, Esther and Hulda. Presume those are the names of the two
mothers. ENTAV clones 174 and 300.
This '06 LasMadres was the first Syrah that John&Jean have made themselves. ThomasRiversBrown was
consulted in its making.
There has been little doubt from over the last few yrs that LasMadres is one of Calif's truly great
Syrah vnyds. This tasting certainly confirmed that fact. It exhibits lots of cold-climate Syrah/black
pepper/olive tapenade character, one of the signatures of Hudson Syrah, but maybe with a bit more ripe
blackberry fruit. I prefer the ones made with partial/motly whole-cluster ferments because of the Rhonish
character it brings to the wine. Would I recognize LasMadres terroir if served it blind?? Prolly not;
only if I made a lucky guess. I am such a doofus.
sort of lost track of her. Her WebSite no longer exists and I presume she's no longer making Marelle
wines. Her day job appears to be the winemaker at LongMeadowRanch. Talented lady and liked both these
Syrahs quite a lot.
in the tasting room and found the wines attractive enough, but just that. However, two of these Syrahs
(BennetVlly and LasMadres) were terrific. I don't know if they continue to take LasMadres Syrah or not, though.
At one time, JeanPainter worked there, don't know if she still does.
the yrs. Looking at his WebSite, which is totally stale & out of date, I was afraid he'd gone under. But
KenZinns assures me eno is still very much alive.
6. VIE: This is the label of BryanKane, from PaloAlto. Followed him from the very start, I did, when he first
showed at HdR. He know owns vnyds up in LakeCnty and makes some very interesting wines under his SolRouge
label. Originally he made his wines at the crush facility in SanFrancisco. He now occupies a converted hanger
on TreasureIsland where he continues to make very good wines.
Tom