The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Giuseppe Campagnola Amarone della Valpolicella 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Giuseppe Campagnola Amarone della Valpolicella 2003

by Jay Labrador » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:45 pm

Last night I attended the opening of a new wine shop called Barolo and the adjacent associated restaurant called Balducci. Good food - the various roasts and grilled meats were most excellent. Unfortunately and oddly enough, we had to make do with some blah South African wine to go with the food.

I was just about ready to leave when Luciano, the owner of the wine shop struck up a conversation with our group and promised to open something interesting. I stuck around and a few minutes later he produced a bottle of Giuseppe Campagnola Amarone della Valpolicella 2003. The wine was surpsingly pale-just a shade darker than a Burgundy. Good nose with chocolate and dried fruit mostly. Medium-bodied. Already quite approachable although the tannins are still prominent on the finish. Sweet, bittersweet chocolate on the palate. A friend of mine suggested figs as well. Maybe it was the power of suggestion but yes, there were figs in there as well. Some smoke and leather character was there, too. The finish was quite long with a Campari-like bitterness to it. Campari is an acquired taste but I like it so the finish was not a problem for me. A very good wine that will probably still have room to develop although it is drinking quite well now.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Giuseppe Campagnola Amarone della Valpolicella 2003

by Jenise » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:01 pm

A Campari-like bitterness? Sounds wild. Any idea what contributed that?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:52 pm

Hi Jenise,

I have no idea why there seemed to be Campari but as in many things wine, it's really more what the flavor suggested to me rather than any overt or obvious character.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:21 pm

Jay, I read a description of another Amarone yesterday and saw that the reviewer noted "has that typical bitter quality in the finish." I've never noticed that about any Amarone I've had, but it's probably the Campari thing you noted.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:22 pm

Jay, I read a description of another Amarone yesterday and saw that the reviewer noted "has that typical bitter quality in the finish." I've never noticed that about any Amarone I've had, but it's probably the Campari thing you noted.