WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:04 am

2012 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (1/12/2014)
I followed this wine over the course of three hours, and it showed me something different almost every time I went back to it. First there was floral and tropical aromas and flavors. Later it picked up a more peachy element. Finally it had a distinct note of orange zest over a pure, rocky minerality that was about as electrifying as Riesling can be. Another magic Hermannshohle wine from Donnhoff.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User avatar
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru
 
Posts: 22255
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

Postby John S » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:43 am

Glad to see you drinking these quickly, as I hear Donnoff don't age well 8) :wink:
John S
Wine guru
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:12 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:54 am

John, you been lurking on Beserkers agin!!!!
User avatar
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris
 
Posts: 9582
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:47 am

John S wrote:Glad to see you drinking these quickly, as I hear Donnoff don't age well 8) :wink:


Ah yes. I know I bring up that unfortunate meme on my own.

It has recently been resurrected on Disorder (with some limited aciton on Berserkers), with the usual suspects chiming in. That said the conversation is taking on some different aspects this time, pointing more towards taste in older Riesling than any inherent un-ageability of Donnhoff's wines. I will never seriously argue with people who say they enjoy the wines young so much that they don't see the point in aging them. That's a totally different discussion than saying the wines do not age well. They do, but they become something different. I happen to love what Donnhoff's wines become with age.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User avatar
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru
 
Posts: 22255
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

Postby Rahsaan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:06 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:...about as electrifying as Riesling can be...


All this talk of electricity is making me think I should revisit Donnhoff. I always enjoyed the wines but when it comes down to my limited purchases I usually look elsewhere because the 'electrifying' quotient is often higher in the Moser/Saar/Ruwer. And that is something I prize in the off-dry riesling. But, this reminds me that such pleasures can be found elsewhere!
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
Posts: 6983
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Rahsaan,

Grab a bottle of the 2012 Estate Riesling. It gives fantastic insight on the vintage at Donnhoff.

It's also 1/3 of the price of the Hermannshohle.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User avatar
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru
 
Posts: 22255
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

Postby Mark Lipton » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
John S wrote:Glad to see you drinking these quickly, as I hear Donnoff don't age well 8) :wink:


Ah yes. I know I bring up that unfortunate meme on my own.

It has recently been resurrected on Disorder (with some limited aciton on Berserkers), with the usual suspects chiming in. That said the conversation is taking on some different aspects this time, pointing more towards taste in older Riesling than any inherent un-ageability of Donnhoff's wines. I will never seriously argue with people who say they enjoy the wines young so much that they don't see the point in aging them. That's a totally different discussion than saying the wines do not age well. They do, but they become something different. I happen to love what Donnhoff's wines become with age.


I have yet to understand why Dönnhoff is singled out for this criticism, as there is a general issue with people's appreciation for aged Riesling. Perhaps Dönnhoff's wines age differently from M-S-R Rieslings? I dunno, but the general brouhaha has always perplexed me.

Mark Lipton
User avatar
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist
 
Posts: 4342
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

Postby Rahsaan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:16 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:It's also 1/3 of the price of the Hermannshohle.


Yeah, price is the other issue. I'm willing to spend that much (50/60 USD) on German riesling, but usually only on my favorite stuff.
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
Posts: 6983
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: WTN: 2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Spatlese

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:48 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:It's also 1/3 of the price of the Hermannshohle.


Yeah, price is the other issue. I'm willing to spend that much (50/60 USD) on German riesling, but usually only on my favorite stuff.


Pretty much the same thing I say when people ask why I don't routinely buy Egon Muller's wines.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User avatar
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru
 
Posts: 22255
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Connecticut


Return to The Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dale Williams, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 8 guests