The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs - sort of - at NYC offline

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTNs - sort of - at NYC offline

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:33 am

Thanks to a misunderstanding between "dinner at 7:30" and "reservations <i>for</i> 8," which I took to be "reservations <i>at</i> 8," we showed up a half-hour late and got the last two seats at the table for last night's offline at Inside in Greenwich Village last night. And just to make my befuddlement complete, I got there and realized I hadn't thought to pack my PDA or a notebook either. Still, I coped nicely, figuring that I'd let other people do the note-taking for a change, and I hope some of them will duly report.

It was a fine evening in any case, as Mary and I joined usual suspects Manuel, Dale, Jay and Tony, old-timer Joe Moryl making a most welcome return, and newbies Bethany and Tevye, who seemed to get quickly into the spirit of a WLDG offline with a neverending stream of interesting and sometimes wacky bottles.

The food wasn't bad either ... I'd call it international bistro fare with some Provence inspiration, in surprisingly generous portions. We enjoyed a squid salad and a ring of extremely tasty buckwheat-coated fried oysters: I had a long-simmered dish of chicken thighs over crispy polenta with lemon and sage and a boatload of wild mushrooms, and Mary enjoyed about half of her rare steak with tapenade over white beans before we rounded out an addle-pated evening by forgetting to take the doggie bag home.

As I said, I didn't take notes and really focused more on enjoying the wines than reviewing them, but here are a few fragmentary comments from memory. In general, it was a splendid lineup with hardly a klunker in the bunch.

We started with a few whites, then moved on quickly to the reds.

* Kamptal Riesling from Hirsch was crisp, bone-dry and minerally and very good with the oysters.

* 2000 (?) St. Aubin seemed damaged at first. Corked? No. Oxidized? Maybe ... but it got better as it opened up in the glass, so maybe it was just idiosyncratic.

* Trento bubbly (metodo classico) was fizzy and fine, with a distinct toasty quality.

* J.J. Prum 1997 (?) Graacher Himmelreich Auslese - very, very petrolly, didn't seem markedly sweet to me with its minerally, cutting-edge acidity.

* J.P. Brun 2006 Nouveau Beaujolais. I picked this up at Chambers Street for laughs and because I love Brun's Beaujolais and wanted to see what he did with Nouveau. Ehhh ... it probably was one of the best Nouveaus I've tried, but it still had that volatile grapiness of the genre and wasn't really my wine of the night, or, I think, anyone else's.

* A fun Greek red that someone (Tony?) hand-imported. I don't recall at all other than that it came from an unfamiliar region (Istria? Something like that) and had a name ending in "-ziki." It was light, a little earthy/barnyardy, greenish fruit but kind of a happy country wine all the same.

* A more serious Sangiovese from Rimini in Emilia-Romagna called "Noi," rustic and bold, with quite a bit of leathery character and good Sangio black cherries. Mary and I both liked it a lot, although I think it got varying reactions around the table.

* My other contribution, Mary's favorite (and one of mine), Puzelat 2005 Touraine Pineau d'Aunis. Crazy wine, a huge blast of white pepper all over the nose; light, structured fruit but mainly minerality on th epalate, like drinking cool rainwater right out of the barrel. We loved it, and most of the people at our end of the table seemed to approve, although I heard it got lower ratings down at the other end.

* Jay fooled us with a couple of California Pinots. After the usual "haha, New World" hilarity, we were impressed, or at least I was. Saintsbury Brown Vineyard (?) Carneros ... durn, 2002? I'm fuzzy on this ... was nicely balanced, full of Pinot character and darn near Burgundian. A mystery wine (passed around in a recycled Brun l'Ancien bottle) was even more interesting - pretty surely New World from its heft, it still had excellent Pinot character and structure, a very fine New World Pinot indeed. We toyed with Oregon, but I called Russian River Valley, which was close, and guessed 1997 from its earthy nuances, which was well off the mark. It was Alysia (sp?) 2004 Pinot Noir from the cool Sonoma Coast region, a wine that Jay says is made in very small quantities by a producer with a serious commitment to Burgundy style. I'd sure buy it.

* An older Finca Sandoval Syrah (?), one of Victor's first efforts, seemed to me to be closed up and difficult to evaluate. Call it gutsy but one-dimensional and put it back in the cellar for a while.

* A Brovia (?) 2003 Dolcetto d'Alba was, well, 2003. Pruney and overripe. A shame, although I caught a drift from the other end of the table that some folks liked it better than we did.

* Clos de Papes 1999 Chateauneuf-du-Pape was very good indeed, even though I thought it might be just starting to wake up from a down period. Tight but classical Chateauneuf, big and chewy and lasting.

* A 1997 Gevrey-Chambertin was doing very nicely, thank you. A much older Burg (1983?) drew a lot of anticipation, but was hopelessly corked - the offending bottle never got down to our end of the table.

* Speaking of older wines, a 1979 Chateau Figeac Saint-Emilion was splendid. Earthy and showing slight, acceptable oxidation, some of us thought it was just starting the downhill curve; others jeered and laughed at us for thinking so. We all enjoyed it.

I'm sure I've overlooked some seriously good bottles, but that's about the best I can do with a reconstruction from memory with no nights to guide me on the morning after.

It was a fine evening, and nice to see quite a few of the NY gang again. Thanks to Jay for organizing.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTNs - sort of - at NYC offline

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:25 am

Damn- you beat me to it! Some repetition below. Good to see you.

Robin Garr and his wife Mary were in town for a seminar, Jay Miller rallied a few of the troops to greet them. After a slight timing snafu ("made the reservation for 8" meant numbers, not time) a fun evening ensued. We were down at Inside on Jones St in the Village, I had fried oysters and the Newport steak. Both were in the good not great category. But wines were mostly good:

2005 Hirsch Zobing Riesling (Kamptal)
Screwcap! Lighter style but with some body, fresh, good depth. Excellent for the level. B+

1996 Altemasi Riserva Graal Brut
Bubbly from Trentino. Bright with ripe apples and a pleasant bitter almond edge. Fine mousse, ok length. I liked more than some others. B/B+

2000 Derain "En Remilly" St. Aubin
Apple fruit with just a hint of oxidation. Finish is a little short and wine seems empty, there was speculation it might get better with air but a revisit brought out an unpleasant chalky note. C

2003 Brintziki Avgoustiatis
A red from Greece,a hand import. Earthy and rather barnyardy at first whiff, I thought it was bretty, but whatever it was blew off. Ripe berry fruit, good length, I enjoyed. B

2003 Noi Rosso (Emilia-Romagna)
I think I heard this was Sangiovese with a dollop of Merlot and CS. A bit tannic and oaky, chewy black fruit. I wouldn't have guessed Sangiovese. Not really my style. C+

2006 JP Brun "L'Ancien" Beaujolais Nouveau

Hey, if you're going to drink BN it might as well be Brun's. Sure it's grapey and simple, but it's fun and there actually is a core of fruit and flowers. Too bad on the timing of BN- if this was around in July it might make a nice chilled patio sipper. B/B-

2002 Saintsbury Brown Vineyard Pinot Noir (Carneros)
Some oak but not oppressive, good dark Pinot fruit, nice finish. I enjoyed quite a bit, but Jay and I agreed that it's a nice $30 wine that sells for more like $50-70. Still, the wine was nice. B+

2005 Puzelat Pineau d'Aunis Touraine
Darker than some previous vintages. White pepper and spice, minerals, beautiful strawberry fruit. Lovely light wine. B+

Jay passed around a mystery wine. Deep cherry fruit with a touch of raspberry, some floral notes, beautifully balanced. Just a hint of a spicy oak edge, excellent wine. I felt pretty sure it was Pinot Noir, not Burgundy but didn't seem Californian to me. I guessed Oregon, but it was California after all, the 2004 Alesia Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast). One of the 2-3 best CA PN I've had. A-

1996 Gallois "Combes aux Moines" Gevrey-Chambertin 1er
A little tight at first, but opens nicely with lots of earth and acids. Blacker fruit, good length. This probably needs time but I enjoyed now. A producer I've not heard of. B+

1983 Trapet Chambertin
I brought this bit of a longshot because Jay had said he had liked in the past (as I had, it was nice but mature 5 or so years ago). I opened, thought I got some mildew, but with a wipe of bottle top it seemed ok. It sat for a bit then went around, but the mildew was back with a vengeance. Too bad, the fruit seemed alive underneath. Damn TCA!

2003 Solatio Brovia Dolcetto d'Alba
I found this rather horrid, others liked better. When you combine a low-acid grape like Dolcetto with a low acid year, you get flabby. I mean REAL flabby. Heavy in the mouth, and tannic as well. C/C-

1999 Clos des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape
I think this could use more time, but enjoyed. Big red fruit, some herb/garrique notes, a bit of oak. Some found it too modern but I quite enjoyed. B+

1995 Ch. Musar

A bit of VA and high acids in general, no discernable brett at first. Medium-bodied, red fruits. As it sits around fruit seems sweeter, but a bit of horsesweat appears too. Not the best Musar I've had, but certainly drinkable. Of course my past experience tells me that the next bottle could be totally different. B

1979 Ch. Figeac
My other contribution. I seem to be on a winning streak with 79s. Opens with a little funk, some find it reductive. Smooth red fruit, lovely texture, good depth. Forest floor, leather, and mushroom notes. Some find it fading but I don't. Revisited later it's going strong, although there is a little burnt rubber note, not enough to be bothersome. A-

2001 Finca Sandoval (Manchuela)
Big, brawny, tight. Lots of oak, lots of blackberry liquer. Some really hate it. I don't mind a super-modern Syrah now and again, and would prefer this to a lot of CA Syrahs that retail for twice as much. B

1997 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese
Some had this early on, others saved for dessert. I did the latter, but unfortunately there was no icebucket. Accordingly, this showed a bit flabbier than it actually was. Big ripe white peach fruit, a core of slatey minerals nonetheless. Hard to judge in its warm state, I'm guessing a cool bottle would edge towards an A- on my easy scale.

Fun night, nice people. A bonus for me when Betsy decided to meet the train, saving me from a mile & a half midnight walk.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
[/b]
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:42 am

Robin Garr wrote:* My other contribution, Mary's favorite (and one of mine), Puzelat 2005 Touraine Pineau d'Aunis. Crazy wine, a huge blast of white pepper all over the nose; light, structured fruit but mainly minerality on th epalate, like drinking cool rainwater right out of the barrel. We loved it, and most of the people at our end of the table seemed to approve, although I heard it got lower ratings down at the other end.

Isn't this Puzelat a marvelous wine? Lately we are getting a blast of Louis/Dressner wines here in the Detroit market, courtesy of our friends at Cloverleaf Wines in Southfield (no spam intended), and this is becoming a local favorite. I like your description "like drinking cool rainwater right out of the barrel". It's the anti-corporate wine.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:44 pm

Dale, good to see you (and the whole gang) again, too. Looking over your list, I'm pretty impressed with myself for remembering as much as I did. I think the only one that dropped out of my head completely was the Musar. Sorry, Otto! ;) But in fairness, I didn't think it was showing terribly well.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:45 pm

Steve Kirsch wrote:Isn't this Puzelat a marvelous wine? Lately we are getting a blast of Louis/Dressner wines here in the Detroit market ... It's the anti-corporate wine.

I love it too, Steve, and Mary loves it even more. We don't get Dressner's wines in Louisville, but I think I've just about qualified for frequent-flier miles at Chambers Street.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:05 pm

Jay passed around a mystery wine. Deep cherry fruit with a touch of raspberry, some floral notes, beautifully balanced. Just a hint of a spicy oak edge, excellent wine. I felt pretty sure it was Pinot Noir, not Burgundy but didn't seem Californian to me. I guessed Oregon, but it was California after all, the 2004 Alesia Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast). One of the 2-3 best CA PN I've had. A-

Sounds good, and I guess he didn't even try to keep up with the pretense that it was Brun?

And how much do these wines cost? (not that I'll be getting on the mailing list or anything)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:13 pm

Richard Ward (of Saintsbury) comes to the Charlotte Wine and Food Festival (held in the spring of even-numbered years). At the 2004 Festival I was impressed with the 1997 (?) Brown Ranch Pinot Noir in a semi-blind tasting--we knew the wines were either from Saintsbury or Burgundy but not much beyond that. I picked the Brown Ranch as a Burgundy and somewhat closed but showing the greatest potential of all the wines we tasted. I later bought a bottle of the most recent release (it may have been the 2002) but haven't opened it yet. Generally I like the Saintsbury lineup from the lower end Garnet on up.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:19 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Sounds good, and I guess he didn't even try to keep up with the pretense that it was Brun?

Hahahaaa!!! No, it had red magic marker all over it. And as good as it was, I don't think any of us were in much danger of confuzzling a Brun Beaujolais with a California Pinot.

And how much do these wines cost? (not that I'll be getting on the mailing list or anything)

I'm clueless, but someone in the thread cited a $50 price point for the Brown Vineyard, didn't they?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I think the only one that dropped out of my head completely was the Musar. Sorry, Otto! ;) But in fairness, I didn't think it was showing terribly well.

Robin! How could you?!?! A pity about the bad showing of it. I've tried it twice recently, and I found it closed both times. Was yours closed, a bit flawed, or not decanted long enough?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:40 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Robin! How could you?!?!

A curse was placed on me? I'm going senile? I dunno! :)

A pity about the bad showing of it. I've tried it twice recently, and I found it closed both times. Was yours closed, a bit flawed, or not decanted long enough?

Closed, I'm guessing. Remember that I did not take notes, and it was well into the evening when the Musar came. It seemed to me somewhat acidic in an unbalanced way, and rather one-dimensional. These are not characteristics that I usually assign to Musar!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:00 pm

Dale,
Not knowing who brought the Musar rouge, do you know whether the wine had been decanted? It is my opinion of late that all of the Musar top wines need decanting. A few months ago I sent a bottle of Musar 1998 white to a restaurant for an offline and asked that it be decanted at 8am for that evenings consumption. IIRC, it was ~9PM when we got to it, and it was singing loudly. I believe the red you had might have needed 4-6 hours of decanting to show it's best. I say that, but I have never had the 95 so I am sorta speaking out of school.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:32 pm

Aack! I opened the wrong Alesia!

This one was the 2004 Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast Kanzler Vineyard. The words Kanzler Vineyard were in smaller print which is my only excuse.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:55 pm

Bob,
Robin says closed. Maybe. I used to like Musar, but the bottle variation is so immense (two bottles opened side by side from same case have tasted different!) that I've given up. When it was $25 it might have been worth gamble, but 50% chance I might enjoy bottle doesn't work for a $40 wine for me.

Jay, thanks for letting us know re Alesia.
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

by Jay Miller » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:24 pm

Rahsaan wrote:

Sounds good, and I guess he didn't even try to keep up with the pretense that it was Brun?

The Alesias are $39 on the mailing list but have been showing up and selling for $70-$85 retail (presumably from people selling their allocations).

The Brun bottle had NOT REALLY written in red magic marker on the label. Hmm, maybe next time I'll do a double feint and write that on a bottle when the label is really correct...
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

by Jay Miller » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:26 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Dale,
Not knowing who brought the Musar rouge, do you know whether the wine had been decanted? It is my opinion of late that all of the Musar top wines need decanting. A few months ago I sent a bottle of Musar 1998 white to a restaurant for an offline and asked that it be decanted at 8am for that evenings consumption. IIRC, it was ~9PM when we got to it, and it was singing loudly. I believe the red you had might have needed 4-6 hours of decanting to show it's best. I say that, but I have never had the 95 so I am sorta speaking out of school.

I brought it. It wasn't decanted and did improve in the glass considerably. However there's another variable, when I removed the capsule there was sticky wine residue on the top of the cork and a streak of red up one side of the cork. This may have seen some heat damage.
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

by Jay Miller » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

I'm clueless, but someone in the thread cited a $50 price point for the Brown Vineyard, didn't they?

$65 IIRC. While I liked it more than I expected the Alesia is less money for better wine.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:51 am

Jay Miller wrote:The Alesias are $39 on the mailing list but have been showing up and selling for $70-$85 retail (presumably from people selling their allocations)...

God that is a fast markup. Good for Kevin. Although I guess he's not seeing that margin.