The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus Feb 2014: Cabernet from California and beyond

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Wine Focus Feb 2014: Cabernet from California and beyond

by Tim York » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:14 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:From beyond!

2008 Koster-Wolf Albiger Schloss Hammerstein Cabernet Sauvignon Trocken.

Rheinhessen, $25 Cdn, 13.5% alc, AP# 4251 072-4209. Good natural cork, decanted one hour.

Medium ruby red, no sign of age. On the nose cassis, curranty but not all that forthcoming.
Initial entry thought is quite dry, needs more definition. Mature tannins, nice easy type drinker. Has good structure, red fruits but not overly fruity. Better on day 2, showed some green peppers but maybe if I had had a fellow taster might have got more from this?
Have to wonder how much cab sauv is produced in Germany.

I had this one at a tasting in 2009. I wouldn't buy it but neither would I refuse to drink it if poured at dinner. I wonder how much of a difference the 10% Syrah made?

Oliver Zeter, Pfalz
“Nüll Zeben Z” 2007 (€19), from CabSauv 65%, CabFranc 25%, Syrah 10%, clearly lacked the brooding depth of the previous (a Pinot Noir), but was nevertheless very attractive with discreet aromas of currant and surprisingly rich fruit for 2007 and elegant shape with the nice Bordeaux leafy edge; 15.5/20+++. My first Bordeaux blend from Germany!
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:30 am

The Syrah addition did not make any difference imo Tim. I would not go overboard on it when handselling either.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:36 am

2010 Arrowhead Springs Vineyard Estate Cabernet Sauvignon – Reserve, Niagara Escarpment
2010 was an excellent growing year in the area. They are one of the few growers of this grape. In addition, Duncan and Robin Ross, the owners, also grow Syrah, Malbec and Sauvignon Blanc, rare in these parts, along with the usual cold hearty vinefera (Riesling, Chardonnay, Cab Franc, Merlot). From the label: 13.5% abv, aged 22 months on American oak, unfined and unfiltered. I decanted this for about 90 minutes. A modest amount tartrate sediment remained. Deep color, with just a slight hint of purple on the edges. Dark berry fruit, smoke, vanilla and a hint of asphalt on the nose. Full, medium long finish with good acidity and tannins. "Toto – we're not in California any more". This was a very good accompaniment to a pan-seared steak dinner at home.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:56 pm

Opened a 2009 Clos Pegase a few days ago. Briary blackberry bramble with licorice and earth. Medium plus body, well structured, with soft tannins and fairly high acid. Needs time and some secondary development to be more interesting, but it's sure a nice cab for $20 (WTSO price).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:12 pm

Jenise, do you know if Clos Pegase is an organic winery? Seems to me I remember something about that from a Pinehurst Wine Festival but i could be confusing it with Peju.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:04 pm

I started a posting for this focus and may end the same way with a 2007 Cadence Tapteil from Red Mt. of Wash. State. Composed of 56 % Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Cab. Franc and 11% Merlot, this was still a VERY young wine. My remaining bottles will rest for at least 5 years. Very dark purple in color, the nose and palate were of sweet cherry and a bit of plum with no secondary complexity emerging yet. Given 4 hrs. of decant time, this wine was still tightly wound. It actually seemed more open when I brought it to MoCool several years ago so it may be going thru a closed stage right now.
abv of 14.4%
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:55 pm

Jim, I had one Cadence Tapteil in my life, about ten years ago, and it drank pretty much like what you're describing. Blind, I might have wondered if it were Australian. Not at all typical Washington with that kind of density, sweetness and extract--not that these qualities are typical of Aussie either, but they are typical of what was being imported to America for a time based on what was getting huge Parker pts. Cadence probably made it's vinting decisions along the same line.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous