The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Obama in no-win wine situation

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Obama in no-win wine situation

by Peter May » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:19 am

according to Drinks Business*

Obama has been accused by the Washington Examiner of “going down the Costco route.”

The three wines served at the dinner – Morlet La Proportion Doree 2011 from the Napa Valley, Chester-Kidder Red Blend 2009 from Washington’s Columbia Valley and sparkling wine Thibaut-Janisson Blanc de Chardonnay from Monticello in Virginia had a combined retail price of just $125. (continues..)

He can't win here - serve expensive wines and get slammed for profligacy, do the opposite and get slammed for meanness.

*http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/02/obama-serves-hollande-cheap-us-wine/
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Obama in no-win wine situation

by Tom Troiano » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Correct. He can't win. I just heard today someone complaining on the radio that the recent State Dinners have come in around $400,000 to $500,000 per dinner. That said, I can't believe that Ridge Geyserville, for example, would break the bank and that would be far more interesting. Personally, I would not be opposed to Ridge MB, Montelena Estate Cab (which would have been kinda fun with the French President), etc. but for far less than those you can still find something fun from the US.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:31 pm

The only good thing about the Chester Kidder is that it's a cabernet-syrah blend and therefore a wine that Mr. Hollande would have no reference point for. I can otherwise think of a number of other Washington wines I'd recommend instead, including wines with a bit more age on them. The White House must have a cellar....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Jenise wrote:The only good thing about the Chester Kidder is that it's a cabernet-syrah blend and therefore a wine that Mr. Hollande would have no reference point for..

Why do you say that? It's a blend used all over the Languedoc and I would imagine he's encountered those wines before.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:09 pm

When I occasionally entertain someone from another country, usually in a business setting, I try to provide a good American wine and a good wine from their country of origin. I have done so for visitors from France, Germany, Spain, Portugal and Hungry. They always seem to appreciate the fact that I went to the trouble to source a decent, if not terribly spectacular, wine from their home country. Plus, the company picks up the tab if the wine is not from my cellar - which it often is.

It seems to me that would be good protocol for the White House to follow for state dinners. I know at one time there was a rule that only American wine could be served at such functions, but I thought that requirement had been overturned. I think it would be nice touch.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:30 pm

The important thing is just to blame Obama.
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:36 pm

Well personally, I think Obama should put the names of every American wine in a big hat, pick out the number of wines required, and then pay an averaged price for each one regardless of quality or the effort expended in production for any particular wine. In this way there would be no danger of creating winery income inequality. :roll:
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Tom V wrote:Well personally, I think Obama should put the names of every American wine in a big hat, pick out the number of wines required, and then pay an averaged price for each one regardless of quality or the effort expended in production for any particular wine. In this way there would be no danger of creating winery income inequality. :roll:

If he did that, then the Republicans and Teahadists would have to schedule press conferences to proclaim against such a heinous practice, claim that he's destroying FREEEEEEDOMMMMMM and the capitalist way, somehow or the other defaming our sacred Constitution, insulting our founding fathers, attacking Christianity and promoting Kenyan-Communist Anti-Colonialism. Then they'd have to vote at least forty times to admonish him, followed by impeachment.

It's tradition.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:47 pm

They've served Ridge & Montelena before. But this dinner's wines actually had a theme- American wines made by French winemakers/owners.
Agree that WH is generally in a no-win situation. $40 bottles are viewed as very expensive by 99% of US population.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Agree that WH is generally in a no-win situation. $40 bottles are viewed as very expensive by 99% of US population.

I was having this very conversation with Jean at lunch. On what planet is $40 a bottle (FTR, wine-searcher has them at a low price of $65, $42 and $25, respectively) considered "Costco" wine? I think that most US citizens would consider those prices to be quite reasonable for a state dinner.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Harry Cantrell

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm

by Harry Cantrell » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:03 pm

All three wines come from wineries with French connections, hence the selection (along with taste)
Harry C.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Président Hollande can only applaud this thrifty approach. After all he did sanction the auctioning off of some of the treasures from the Élysée Palace cellars as a political gesture :evil: .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jenise wrote:The only good thing about the Chester Kidder is that it's a cabernet-syrah blend and therefore a wine that Mr. Hollande would have no reference point for..

Why do you say that? It's a blend used all over the Languedoc and I would imagine he's encountered those wines before.

You're right. Dumb thing to say--my head was in Australia.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Of all the no-win situations the White House has been put in, I'm pretty sure this one isn't at the top of the list.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:21 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:Agree that WH is generally in a no-win situation. $40 bottles are viewed as very expensive by 99% of US population.

I was having this very conversation with Jean at lunch. On what planet is $40 a bottle (FTR, wine-searcher has them at a low price of $65, $42 and $25, respectively) considered "Costco" wine? I think that most US citizens would consider those prices to be quite reasonable for a state dinner.

Mark Lipton

No you're wrong, the people you associate with would consider those prices to be quite reasonable because they know what comprises a state dinner in the first place.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:49 am

Is it the price that matters or the “points” or “reviews” a wine gets that matters? If you’re a “point chaser” the White House didn’t do so bad.

Salute