The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

March Wine Focus - Wine Values ($20 and under)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

Re: March Wine Focus - Wine Values ($20 and under)

by Joy Lindholm » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:So my question is, what cutoff can we set that represents not only "value" but "affordability."

This number is going to be different for everyone based on their level of disposable income. There are wines I may find as great values for what they are, but still not affordable, and vice versa.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Well some $25 wines are still very good value. The Brocard Chablis not so much.

I can't disagree, but then we end up at the old debate about whether Ch. d'Yquem is a QPR wine because it outperforms competitors at its price point.

So my question is, what cutoff can we set that represents not only "value" but "affordability." If Brocard Chablis is a great value at $15 but not so much at $25, that suggests a criterion somewhere between those levels. :mrgreen:

$23.92!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:14 am

2012 Johann Geil Scheurebe Kabinett, from Bechtheimer Heiligkreuz in the Rheinhessen. This German white was very nice with lots of grapefruit and good (not great) acidity for $18 and 10.5% abv. A Therry Theise Selection but a producer I am not familar with. As a side note , I used to see and buy the occasional Siegrebe, Ortega and Huxelrebe but never see these varietal crosses anymore. Is this true for others of youall out there.

Marietta Cellars Old Vine Lot** is an old favorite of mine costing about 10-12$. I had the Lot 54 last nite and again satisfied with it. The different lots are predominently Zin but some Cab/Merlot/Petite Syrah are used also. This one was on the sweet side, mostly Zin I would guess with 13.5%abv. I started with the Lot #4 so have been a longtime fan. They produce more than one lot # per year and started the series in 1978. I would also agree with a permanent stickie for wines under $20 or $25, whatever the group agrees upon.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:06 am

I generally lay in a box of wines from Puzelat and his friends when Chambers Street gets its new stash each year. This one was fun but maybe not my favorite from the Puzelat-Bonhomme stable.

Puzelat-Bonhomme 2012 "Le Rouge et Mis" Vin du France Pinot Meunier ($17.49)

Clear ruby, not too dark, fading to pale pink at the edge. Interesting red-fruit aromas, dried cherries and cranberries. Crisp and bright on the palate, red-fruit cherry-berry flavors follow the nose, wrapped up with zippy acidity and intriguing notes of stony minerality in the long finish. 12% alcohol. Very nice with a hearty old-fashioned beef stew (made with Gardein "beefless tips") on a wintry evening. U.S. importer: LDM Wines Inc., NYC; Louis/Dressner Selections. (Jan. 6, 2013)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Jim Grow wrote: As a side note , I used to see and buy the occasional Siegrebe, Ortega and Huxelrebe but never see these varietal crosses anymore. Is this true for all y'all out there.

FIFY... :wink:

I still see those grapes. Darting Huxelrebe still appears here and there. Dale (I think it was Dale) recently posted on an Ortega. I saw Siegerrebe in Canada in 2012 on my vacation.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Here is another Fronton from the same stable as the one I wrote about a couple of weeks ago complaining that it tasted more like northern Rhône than Fronton, though in respects other than typicity it was a good wine.

Fronton Le Classique 2008 - Domaine Le Roc - Alc.13% - (c.€9) made from Négrette 70%, Syrah 20% and Cabernet Sauvignon 10% and matured in concrete vats.
This medium. bodied wine showed some very attractive red and dark fruit with a mingling of ripe tomato and a dash of blood, all seasoned by dabs of spice, freshened by lively acidity and supported by decently resolving tannic structure. Unlike the estate's flagship Cuvée Don Quichotte (with 40% Syrah), it no longer masqueraded as a Rhône but I still missed the leathery earthiness which I have found in other estates from Fronton. I discussed this briefly with the caviste and he said that Fronton without softening (dumbing down?) of Syrah and/or CabSauv was a hard sell. Nevertheless a good wine and good QPR.

To remind myself what I have liked in the past from Fronton, I looked up in the archive these notes from a tasting in December 2011 in the presence of the growers -

Château La Colombière, Fronton, near Toulouse
This estate, run by the pleasant young Cauvin couple, uses biodynamic methods http://www.chateaulacolombiere.com/english/ . The principle grape variety in Fronton is Négrette but other varieties including Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah are authorised in a blend. Of the wines shown here, all AOC Fronton, only Réserve included 20% of Cabernets, both Sauvignon and franc.
I loved Vinum 2010 (€6) for its exuberant savoury and tangy fruit, earthiness, lively acidity and hints of old lace; I bought some; 15.5/20+++. Réserve 2010 (€7) was smoother and more civilised but still showed a lot of Négrette character; 15.5/20++. Coste Rouge 2009 (€10) was deeper and more structured and complex showing attractive fruit impregnated with cassis and leather notes; this one should improve with ageing; 16/20 now.

I feel that the above wines were more typical as well as more exuberant and even better QPR.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Very interesting Tim. Seems like it is worth exploring. I wonder if it is around anywhere. Have to look.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Fronton hunt coming up here too!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:10 pm

2012 Merkelbach Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Spatlese
This is the regular bottling, not the 'Urgluck.' At $17.99 it is a terrific Mosel Riesling value. Lots of fresh lime and strawberry fruit is layered over a bed of stone. It's a light bodied Spätlese that looks back to the 80s or early 90s in style. It's not all that sweet, especially compared to most modern spatlese.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:41 am

The only wine from Negrette I've had in the USA is from Kenneth Volk in Santa Barbara County. (Reference Tim's notes.)

I attended a tasting of wines From Casarena Vineyards at a wine shop in Raleigh Thursday, March 13th. Five of the seven wines were priced under $20, although for three of them that was the sale price and the regular price was $25. The vineyards are in Mendoza, Argentina. I have only the sketchiest of notes.

2012 Casarena "505" Cabernet regularly $15 on sale for $11.99 Old vines with low yields. Light mahagony color. Flavor of berries and maybe red currants. Rich and smooth.

2012 Casarena "505" Essencia regularly $15 on sale for $11.99 50% Malbec, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot Unusual nose--couldn't really identify it but maybe something like cranberry. Slight wooliness to the texture. Pleasant taste that I liked although I didn't care for the nose.

2011 Casarena Malbec Reserva regularly $25 on sale for $19.99 (invoice said $17.99 but tasting sheet said $19.99) Representative says ultra-concentrated grapes, hand-picked on steep slopes. Slight pucker on the finish. rich material and a pleasant aftertaste. I purchased a bottle of this wine.

2011 Casarena "Sinergy." regularly $25 on sale for $19.99 70% Malbec, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc, and 3% Petit Verdot. Showed more complexity than the last wine due to the variety of grapes but I didn't necessarily like it better.

2011 Casarena Cabernet Reserva regularly $25 on sale for $19.99 This is one I have had in the past year and have really liked. Long finish, fruity. Suggestive of raspberry more than cassis. Delightful in a fruit-forward way--perhaps not typical Cabernet Sauvignon flavor components. Viscous. I have been impressed by the length of its finish at two different tastings. I took home one more bottle.

(We also had the higher priced 2010 Casarena "Jamilla's" Malbec which was Decanter's top Malbec. I liked it.)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:26 am

2011 Vondeling Baldrick Shiraz Voor-Paardeburg S Africa.

$22 Cdn, 14% alc, Lot 2 324. SC.
9% Mourvedre, 1% Viognier Red black fruit w floral hints. Hint of ripeness on entry, raspberry, soft tannins, rather one-dimensional. Med-bodied, pepper spice, sweet black fruits. Young vines, decent but not much varietal influence here. Held up well over 3 days,
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:01 am

Vin de Savoie Chignin Mondeuse Vieilles Vignes 2010 - André et Michel Quenard - Alc.12% -(c.€12)

This is a lovely wine and another in which I find similarities to Northern Rhône with its aromas of steely cherry suffused with grilled meat. However, Mondeuse is a cousin of Syrah, if not closer (for French readers see http://www.academievin.com/pressrelease ... d=1&ctid=6 ), and Savoie is in a temperate part of France, so a certain similarity is not surprising. This medium bodied wine with lively slightly peppery fruit and fresh acidity together with good length is delicious for drinking right now. I could class it as a "fun" wine at present but it has a charm and elegance which is missing from many quaffers and it may have some ageing potential. Very good indeed and QPR!

Incidentally, I have noticed that the big Leclerc supermarket here in Lisieux has a wide Savoie selection from a grower unknown to me. I will certainly dip into them and will be interested to see whether they compare well with this Mondeuse bought from a caviste.

Warning - there are several different Quenard estates in Savoie. My reference book lists J-P et J-F Q and Pascal et Annick Q as well as this one and I think that there are others.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Gary Kahle

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Traverse City, MI

by Gary Kahle » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:42 am

2011 Cabirau ‘Serge & Nicolas’ Maury Sec could be my QPR pick of the year! This wine 60% Grenache, 28 Syrah & 12 Carignan is from the vineyard owned by Dan Kravitz of Hand Picked Selections. Ripe dark black fruit and berries dominate the aroma and flavors and the texture is fine and silky. It will be interesting to see how it develops if I can keep my hands off for awhile. I got mine for under $20 but it might be difficult now since production was only 870 case and reviews are out with big numbers!
Disclaimer; I did represent HPS in Mid-west till 3 years ago but NO connection since then.
Cheers, Gary
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Reviews? I always liked it when Dan K. scored a wine. He would use something like 92.14857 points, with potential to move up to 93.49856.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:55 pm

2011 Haden Fig No. 52 Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley
This bottle was given to us by the winemaker, Erin Nuccio, when we visited Evesham Wood in November 2012. Haden Fig is his own label (named after his son). Wine Searcher shows this wine in the $17-20 range. You would be hard pressed to find Willamette Valley Pinot Noir (one made from organic grapes, nonetheless!) that is more delicious than this for the price. Under $20 Pinot Noir can be sketchy in general, but this wine over delivers. It is incredibly light in color and very transparent; looks deceitfully close to a rosé. The nose and palate are bright, carrying notes of just-picked strawberry with an herbal, spicy undertone. It paired wonderfully with miso soup and roasted chickpeas with bacon and kale. This would be a beautiful summer red wine; very refreshing. This may be a bit hard to track down due to the tiny production - but so worth it!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:10 pm

Joy, I may have seen Haden Fig yesterday--it rang major bells when I saw the name in your note. I was out yesterday rounding up the wines for this Friday night's neighborhood tasting at three different retailers and needed just one more wine, so was looking at/for labels that weren't the usual suspects (good practice too, as I tripped over Donkey & Goat 'Fennaughty' Syrah and a bottle of Maison Bleue syrah, which one doesn't usually see just laying around). If there's still some left next time I'm back in that store, I'll pick one up.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:41 pm

That Haden Fig Pinot Noir does sound attractive for summertime. I will be opening a German Riesling next.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:01 am

Chinon Les 4 Terroirs de Coulaine 2010 - Étienne de Bonnaventure - Alc.13% - (c.€10)
I seem to be on a winning streak with wines of previously unfamiliar growers bought from local shops. This Chinon would make new friends with people who normally find Loire reds too green and acidic without alienating existing Loire lovers. Body was medium, acidity was lively and there was some lovely bright red fruit suffused with charcoal hints and typical fresh edge together with a caressingly silky texture. I don't think that there was enough structure for the long haul but it was perfect for quaffing right now and I will rush out to buy more before the 2010s are sold out. Very good.

BTW I looked up this producer and find that his Château de Coulaine label is very well regarded. This must be an entry level wine.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:41 am

Living on the Loire doorstep obviously has its advantages Tim. Guess in-house PO is keeping a sharp eye on wine boxes arriving at the new abode!!
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:50 am

I can find many of the Château La Colombière wines in our area and they all seem to over deliver.

Drew
no avatar
User

Gary Kahle

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Traverse City, MI

by Gary Kahle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:23 am

2011 Syrousse Cotes du Roussillon Villages is yet another great value from the Roussillon region. This one is 70% Syrah, 20 Grenache & 10 Carignan finished with no oak. Full-bodied with primary flavors of blackberry and other dark fruits. Drinking very nice at this young age but could improve over the next couple years. Probably not a long ager though. I bought this one in Jacksonville Beach, Florida at a store called ’90 Plus’ for $17.00 but expect it could be found for less.
Cheers, Gary
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:51 am

Gary Kahle wrote:2011 Syrousse Cotes du Roussillon Villages is yet another great value from the Roussillon region. This one is 70% Syrah, 20 Grenache & 10 Carignan finished with no oak. Full-bodied with primary flavors of blackberry and other dark fruits. Drinking very nice at this young age but could improve over the next couple years. Probably not a long ager though. I bought this one in Jacksonville Beach, Florida at a store called ’90 Plus’ for $17.00 but expect it could be found for less.
Cheers, Gary

I've just seen a special offer here of <€29 for a six pack of these (€30 discount on normal price). I feel very tempted :D .
Tim York
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:03 pm

2009 Leitz Weingut Rudesheimer Magadalenenkreuz Riesling Spatlese, Rheingau, Germany. A.P. No. 24 079 064 10. Stelvin closure. 9% abv. Maybe stretching the under $20 qualification as I bought it at a sale price of $19.99. Medium gold color with transparency. This had a slight petrol note on the nose which was not heavy enough to be disagreeable along with floral notes and suggestions of apple cider. I found it very inviting and not too sweet to be food-friendly. For dinner I paired it with lemon chicken, baked onion, and mushroom gravy. For lunch the next day I had a glass with squash soup. The pairing with the soup worked well (I have also liked squash soup with a Vouvray Silex.) I think this was a single bottle purchase but I would like to have more of this wine.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:57 pm

As an inexpensive glass of red with dinner I often drink some Duckhorn Decoy Red Wine... a mix of cab and merlot which I get at my local Costco for $15.79 a bottle. Not terribly complex but good juicy flavors that go well with most food and when I have let a bottle age a few years, basically because I misplaced the bottle, it was even better. I think it is a pretty good value. In the same category of nothing pretentious but even cheaper, at $12.95 a pop is Stump Jump by D'Arenberg, a GSM blend. These are not profound in any way but simply nice glasses of red at a good price.

Best Wishes,
Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
PreviousNext