The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Pali Wine Co. Cargasacchi Jalama Vineyard Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2005 Pali Wine Co. Cargasacchi Jalama Vineyard Pinot Noir

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:41 pm

First of my shipment of Pali, opened purely for scientific reasons...

First off I do not know if Brian made the Pali wines in a deliberately different style, or if it's vintage or site dependent, but this is one of my favorite Cali Pinots of all time. It's a little lighter than I've become used to, with more strawberry and cherry fruit than say blackberry, and there's a delicious tart cherry finish. Some might find the wine even a touch thin (again compared to "normal" Cal Pinot), but for me it shows some of the best balance I've run across in a long time for this region/variety combo.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: 2005 Pali Wine Co. Cargasacchi Jalama Vineyard Pinot Noir

by James Dietz » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:46 pm

Great to hear.. I haven't tried the Pali yet, but it is part of the line-up at our 15 or so producer Pinotfalltacular on Dec. 16.. looking forward to trying it.. I wonder if it could be the Cargasacchi fruit.. it is one of the vineyards closest to the ocean.. and may be the hardest to ripen... just a thought..
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Charley Hood

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:20 pm

Ann Arbor, MI

by Charley Hood » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:52 pm

Thanks for the note. This style does sound like a departure/detour for Brian. Just received my Pali's a couple weeks ago and I'm allowing them to rest from their cross-country shipment.

While they suggested six months wait in the mailer, it sounds as if this one, at least, may be ready. I'll try to restrain myself!
no avatar
User

Charley Hood

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:20 pm

Ann Arbor, MI

by Charley Hood » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:13 pm

Well, I restrained myself as long as I could. Finally opened the first of my 05 Pali's tonight. Gotta agree with you that this is a very nice wine and certainly showing very well early. My notes follow:

2005 Pali Pinot Noir, Cargasacchi Jamala Vyd, Santa Barbara County 3/1/2007 Bright medium garnet to a pale pink edge. Soft creamy oak over red pie cherry fruit, light sweet floral highlights, dash of vanilla and a driving light framboise element on the nose. Soft, supple entry to a dry center where lean red cherry-berry fruit is wrapped in a narrow envelope of fine fruit tannins, easy oak tones form the outer edge and juicy cherry acidity fills from beneath, well-balanced, medium weight, moderate consistent finish.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:41 pm

Glad you liked it Charley.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:47 pm

Jim Dietz said:
but it is part of the line-up at our 15 or so producer Pinotfalltacular on Dec. 16.. looking forward to trying it...

And where are our tasting notes from this event? HMMMM?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

Jenise wrote:Jim Dietz said:
but it is part of the line-up at our 15 or so producer Pinotfalltacular on Dec. 16.. looking forward to trying it...

And where are our tasting notes from this event? HMMMM?

well...if you don't mind going over to the evil side, :twisted: you could look here... http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/sho ... alltacular
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:33 pm

Sorry for being ignorant, but is this Brian Loring you refer to? If so, it is nice to hear that he can make good wines in a style other than sur maturite.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:02 pm

Marc D wrote:Sorry for being ignorant, but is this Brian Loring you refer to? If so, it is nice to hear that he can make good wines in a style other than sur maturite.

Yes..he is the wine maker for Pali Wines as well as his eponymous label... the Pali wines are new, from the 05 vintage, which everyone seems to think has produced more elegant Pinots...so....maybe more than one data point will be needed to see if there are distinct styles between the two wineries...

Jenise...back on the theme of Cargasacchi...I tasted most of Peter C's wines a week or so ago at a very nice event at the Wine Gallery..Peter was there to pour and talk about his wines.. His own Cargasacchi Pinots are big and oaky, and more on the Anna Nicole side of Pinot making at this point, but they show some acidity that may make them better with time. OTH, his Point Concepcion label wines were all outstanding and made in a leaner style. His whites were amazingly good and great value. His Pinot Grigio is actually pink, and his Rose is 50% Viognier...and all are less than $15. Great values. [/b]
Cheers, Jim