The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: HenryOfPelham BacoNoir '12..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: HenryOfPelham BacoNoir '12..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:38 pm

Gary & Charlotte brought this mystery wine last night:
1. Henry of Pelham BacoNoir VQA: Ontario (13%) 2012: Med.dark color w/ thick/viscous legs; rather plummy/boysenberry/blackberry slight herbal/earthy bit hybridy light toasty/oak quite grapey/lush nose; bit off-dry thick/lush/ripe strong plummy/boysenberry/very grapey slight herbal/earthy flavor w/ light/soft tannins; med.long strong boysenberry/plummy/licorice soft/thick/ripe/lush slight earthy/herbal finish w/ light tannins; quite an interesting atypical (for me) red. $20.00
1. I was totally clueless as to what this mystery wine was. It was very thick & grapey, suggestive of a high-alcohol wine, and made me think it might be a Paso Mourvedre (and not a particularly good one, at that).
I was shocked that it was a BacoNoir. Generally, the Bacos I've had (maybe some 40-50) have a distinct hybridy character of plastic, like sticking you head inside a brand-new vinyl trash container at your local HomeDepot. They typically have a rather coarse/earthy/loamy character like sticking your head in a fresh compost pile. Despite being off-dry and very/very grapey, this was easily the best Baco I've had and I rather liked it. Would pair well w/ a steaming bowl of chili.
I've heard lots of good reports on Henry of Pelham Baco and have long wished to try it. This wine confirms those stories.
Tom
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: HenryOfPelham BacoNoir '12..(short/boring)

by Howie Hart » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:07 pm

I've had this, but not the '12, which is a very good growing year. I've always liked the nose of Baco, but the finish, for some reason, always seems concentrated on the center of my tongue, not full in the mouth. I bought some Baco in 2011, but used it in a blend (35% Baco, 25% Foch, 25% Vidal and 15% Chambourcin).
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:19 am

Well...

Just went to CT to see which vintage I had in stock and surprised and sad to see 'none' - - drank it couple years ago. I thought I was aging one on the advice of Paul B. who is the hybrid king...

If you get the chance, try the Reserve bottling which I think is several grades better.

Will get some more when I'm in Toronto in August. :)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:05 pm

Peter May wrote:...when I'm in Toronto in August. :)
Are you coming to MOCOOL - August 17th?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:43 am

So near, and yet so far...

If it had been a week or so later or the Pinotage event I'm attending in Toronto was a week or so earlier it could have been possible.