The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Weight vs. Hangtime

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Weight vs. Hangtime

by Victorwine » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:21 am

Right now there is a debate going on among the vine growers of California and those in the wine business- weight and hangtime. The productivity of vineyards in California is measured by ton per acre. Basically the longer the cluster of grapes hangs on the vines the Brix level increases (sugar concentration rises) and weight per berry decreases. Thus as the season progresses the vine growers actually takes a loss in ton per acre. The vine growers are suggesting that for every degree Brix above a given standard they should be able to charge a premium.
What’s your reaction to this?

Salute
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Weight vs. Hangtime

by Thomas » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:05 pm

Victorwine wrote:Right now there is a debate going on among the vine growers of California and those in the wine business- weight and hangtime. The productivity of vineyards in California is measured by ton per acre. Basically the longer the cluster of grapes hangs on the vines the Brix level increases (sugar concentration rises) and weight per berry decreases. Thus as the season progresses the vine growers actually takes a loss in ton per acre. The vine growers are suggesting that for every degree Brix above a given standard they should be able to charge a premium.

Salute

Victor,

That's not the whole story. After the wineries take in the grapes--and pay based on weight--they produce high concentrated, high alcohol wines which they then have to dilute by adding back water, the water that the growers feel should have been theirs in the first place.

And now my reaction: it sucks, both the way it works and many of the wines it produces.
Last edited by Thomas on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:25 pm

I pretty much agree with Thomas regarding the style of wine usually produced by high brix grapes. If these high brix grapes don't/can't command a higher price in the marketplace, or in contract negotiations, then there probably isn't much the growers can do since most farmers are price-takers. Sure they can pick at lower brix with higher tonnage per acre, but the reality is that these higher tonnage grapes will probably just result in reduced income/ton in the market.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:25 pm

Victorwine wrote:Right now there is a debate going on among the vine growers of California and those in the wine business- weight and hangtime. The productivity of vineyards in California is measured by ton per acre. Basically the longer the cluster of grapes hangs on the vines the Brix level increases (sugar concentration rises) and weight per berry decreases. Thus as the season progresses the vine growers actually takes a loss in ton per acre. The vine growers are suggesting that for every degree Brix above a given standard they should be able to charge a premium.

Salute

I think you will find some very conscientious vintners who buy by the acre, not the ton. And one look at the prices being charged and it is evident that the premium is already being charged.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:51 am

Thanks for replying gentlemen. The first thing that flashed through my head (being an amateur winemaker who produces wines from California fruit) was that in 2007 I could expect to see an increase in grape prices.

Salute
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:43 pm

Victorwine wrote:Thanks for replying gentlemen. The first thing that flashed through my head (being an amateur winemaker who produces wines from California fruit) was that in 2007 I could expect to see an increase in grape prices.

Salute

Victor,

Keep your eye on the price of water ;)
Thomas P