The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Value - It's not a focus it's a way of life!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Wine Value - It's not a focus it's a way of life!

by Carl Eppig » Wed May 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Picked up a Monte Antico in the Dover, NH state package store for $11.99. It went very well tonight with pasta in our Italian tomato sauce, and Italian sausages. Yum!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat May 23, 2015 7:02 pm

2011 Tobin James, Rock-N-Roll, Paso Robles, Syrah; alcohol 15%, $18.00 U.S. Gives you berries and smoke, and a wild spicy finish.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 23, 2015 7:36 pm

No sign of the alcohol on the palate?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun May 24, 2015 9:21 am

David M. Bueker wrote:No sign of the alcohol on the palate?

Nope. Have a great Memorial Day!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu May 28, 2015 5:46 am

Here is a good QPR N.Rhône at less than half the price of some of the more famous names in Crozes-Hermitage.

2012 Cave de Tain l'Hermitage Crozes-Hermitage Cuvée de l'empi - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage (5/19/2015)
This is a "fun" wine for early drinking but not at all like the serious quasi-Burgundian offerings from the like of Alain Graillot. Lively nose of red fruit, mainly sour cherry, sprinkled with pepper. On the medium/light bodied palate the pepper element is prominent but on a backcloth of attractive red fruit, fresh acidity with enough grip to support the quite aromatic finish. Good wine and splendid QPR at €8.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 28, 2015 10:11 am

Heads up for Trader Joe's shoppers--the Picpoul de Pinet called Cava Azul is terrific. More flavor and balance than you expect for around $7.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:05 am

OK...I know this is industrial wine made by a winery owned by a massive conglomerate, but I have to say that for $11, the KENWOOD 2012 Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon was very, very drinkable. Quite fresh, with real cab character. Maybe my palate was off (a post bicycle ride tasting) but I thought it was delightful, actually.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:52 pm

First, thanks to David B. for finding the thread for me. From CellarTracker:
2009 Bodegas Arrocal, Ribero del Duero, Spain. Tempranillo grape.
14% alcohol by volume. Sees six months of oak. Darkly colored and opaque. Scent of currants and blackberries. Juicy on the palate with some savory notes and an astringent edge. I had this with a dish similar to a lamb stew but prepared in the oven instead of on the stovetop. At under $15 this is a great QPR. On CellarTracker I awarded it 88 points (up from 87 points the first evening) and 88 is also the CT average. Richard Jennings gave it 91 points.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:14 am

2014 Château Bois de la Salle Julienas Beaujolais. 100% Gamay. Pleasant aromas of red fruit on the palate. Secondary aromas of blackberry with a spicy touch. Supple tannins; attractive and pleasant. Pairs well with pan-fried pork dumplings, first 2014 I have seen up here.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:49 pm

2013 Antica Corte Valpolicella Classico, Veneto, Italy. Note adapted from CellarTracker.
I paid $14.99 plus sales tax at Total Wine in Raleigh and find this a wine value at that price. Dark purple-red and almost opaque in appearance. Fruity, suggesting red and purple fruits with a minty taste also present. The mint note was a surprise to me. Light to medium body and not tannic. This paired nicely with a pot roast although the label suggests pairing it with grilled meat. I gave it 88 points on CellarTracker based on how it performs for what it is--a Valpolicella Classico--and not necessarily how it would rate against a classified Bordeaux, a premier cru Burgundy, a Barolo, etc.
Previous