The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Very Brief Wine Tasting Notes-Company Christmas Party

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Very Brief Wine Tasting Notes-Company Christmas Party

by Brian K Miller » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:55 am

Domaine Confuron-Cotetidot 2003 (Burgundy): Didn't show very well tonight=not a lot of character. Just rather flat, although it opened up a little bit over the hour. Very young, so maybe it's closed now? It was much more impressive at a Pinot tasting at Backroom Wines in Napa this summer. **1/2 Try again? Maybe The first tasting was very good, so...I'll just assume it's too young and closed and will hold onto it next time.

Mazzoco Matrix 1999 Bordeaux Blend (Dry Creek Valley). One of the very few Dry Creek wineries whose cabs fit my tastes. This was a very nice bottle, and was popular among the partygoers. Very balanced, with nice dark fruits still showing, but that lovely herbal/Old World savoriness that is my holy grail in Bordeaux varietals! This bottle showed so well I would consider buying another one easily, except that the winery's 2002 Reserve Cab (with a new winemaker) is also very, very lovely-with even more rich, ripe dark fruit (and the savory notes still peaking out, too). ****

Saddleback Cellars Old Vines Zinfandel 2004. Why do I like this? Some people at the party asked me that? Although the winery itself talks about jamminess and all the other deadly adjectives that kill Zinfandel for me, I find this wine deliciously light and balanced and a lovely drink. Definitely buy again. ***1/2

Paul Hobbs Merlot 2000. The surprise of the night for me. At the wine shop a couple of weeks ago, this was tasting quite fruity and not to my palette. Tonight, it was utterly delicious. Balanced with rich, ripe, dark Napa Valley fruit, yet with a nice tobacco underpinning. Maybe the oak? Not herbal like some green Napa and Sonma Merlots, but not a one dimensional fruit bomb at all. It's quite pricey, but utterly smooth and rich and delicious. Deserves more than 87 points, frankly (WE). ****1/2

Vincenzian Barbaresco 1999. Splash decanted for almost three hours before serving. This may be another "closed" wine, excpet it had an absolutely winderful nose, with the rose scents that you all talk about. The palette was somewhat flat, but on the other hand, the tannins were quite soft and this wine was rather elegant. **1/2

Ampelos Syrache 2004 (Central Coast) Although the cork broke during opening and floated in the bottle all night, this was another crowd favorite. A nice smooth, fruity, party quaffing wine. I'm a Cab and Bordeaux and Chianti guy, but buy again for sure. ***

Nichelini Petit Sirah 2001. From a small family winery uphill from the Napa Valley (east), this was another wine that won raves. Quite tannic still (it had been stored over the past year at too cold a temp), it did have some interesting layers of flavors. I preferred the Paul Hobbs and the Matrix, but other's found this wine a favorite. *** Buy again? Yep. \

Rusack 2004 Syrah (Central Coast) My boss opened this one for us (His brother in law is the winemaker). I'm not sure about it, to be honest. It had good flavor, with some depth and complexity, but it did not taste at all like "Syrah." It tasted like PINOT NOIR to me. Wierd. They are known for their Pinots, and the boss's daughter is a Pinot head and she loved it. Very interesting, though, and many people liked it. So-how to rate a wine? *** just on its own merits. Maybe only * or ** based on varietal character. "????" is my conclusion with this one.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Very Brief Wine Tasting Notes-Company Christmas Party

by James Roscoe » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:40 pm

Can we just close the book on the '03 vintage in Europe? How many poor tasting notes on that vintage will it take. Obviously there are the exceptions, but the motto on '03 in Europe must be "let the buyer beware." I don't know what to say about the rest of the wines. Sounds like a fun evening.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:19 pm

Well....I've had a couple of 2003s that I did like (Lynch Bages, for one). And, the wine was quite lovely at the Pinot tasting this summer where I bought it...so, I'm not sure I would write off the entire vbintage :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:32 pm

James
I might not have had vast experience with 03, but to date I'd agree with you. So much so, that I actively avoid it, unless I've tasted for myself and liked it.
I'm sure there are success stories - in perhaps some surprising producers, but I'm not particularly hunting them down.
regards
Ian