The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Red Sancerre (Pinot Noir) Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Red Sancerre (Pinot Noir) Question

by Redwinger » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:19 am

Does red Sancerre (Pinot Noir)age and improve?
I know this is a very broad question and most likely depends upon producer/vintage and other factors I am too dumb to understand. However, in general, does it?
TIA
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Red Sancerre (Pinot Noir) Question

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:26 am

Bill, I can't testify to this one from much experience, having never tried to age one (and only having enjoyed tasting a relative few red Sancerres). But Hugh Johnson's advice in his <i>Pocket Wine Book 2007</i> coincides with my intuition: "Best drunk at 2 to 5 years" after the vintage. In short, it's not a long-time keeper.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:43 am

Robin,
Thanks.
Like you, I have little expereince with these and my intuition is that they wouldn't be agers. The question was prompted by an in-store tasting I stumbled upon this week and they had a red Sancere open (sorry, I didn't jot down producer/vintage) but it was quite an aggressive wine...lots of tannin and raging acidity (and, I consider myself an acidophile) with a core of red fruit lurking underneath. I wanted to think this would improve with age since all the ingredients were present, but my intuition said ...NOPE.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:53 am

Redwinger wrote:Robin,
Thanks.
Like you, I have little expereince with these and my intuition is that they wouldn't be agers. The question was prompted by an in-store tasting I stumbled upon this week and they had a red Sancere open (sorry, I didn't jot down producer/vintage) but it was quite an aggressive wine...lots of tannin and raging acidity (and, I consider myself an acidophile) with a core of red fruit lurking underneath. I wanted to think this would improve with age since all the ingredients were present, but my intuition said ...NOPE.

I sure wouldn't hold it for a decade! ;)

On the other hand, there might be some benefit to shorter-term cellaring. I can think of a few wines - some tart, tannic young Cotes-du-Rhones come to mind - that don't really justify long cellaring but that lose their rough edges and some of their awkwardness with a year or two. If the one you tasted was a 2005, say, then Hugh's "2 to 5 year" advice might make a lot of sense.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:00 pm

Robin, that's been my paltry experience--they mellow out real fast.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:39 pm

I've had some Sancerre rouges at seven and eight years of age that I thought were terrific. But they were from good vintages and I wouldn't be inclined to go much longer than that on even the best. As someone who has drank lots of Sancerre (and Menetou-Salon) rouges when they were between two- and five-years-old, I think that's generally good advice. From a good producer and a good year, you could, if you were so inclined, go several years longer without too much risk.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:50 pm

Jenise/Bruce/ Robin,
Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. Wine is fun!
'Winger