The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: In which I don't pay attention ('01 Potel Chambolle)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: In which I don't pay attention ('01 Potel Chambolle)

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:17 pm

So capon was on the menu for last night, and when Betsy mentioed a mushroom stuffing, I thought "that'll be nice with a little Burgundy." Then she changed her mind, went with a rice stuffing. She told me re the change, I actually held the bird while she stuffed, yet when dinner time came I went downstairs and grabbed a 375 of Burgundy. Just after opening we sat down, I looked at the stuffing with the dried fruit, the . cinnamon/nutmeg/allspice dusted capon, and realized my error.
Too late, so we went with the already opened 2001 Nicolas Potel Chambolle-Musigny.

I served a little too cool, but a nice little Pinot. Ripe black cherry fruit, moderate acidity, some cinnamon notes that actually do well with the bird. Fairly "modern" with upfront fruit, but not oaky. A little woodsmoke and earth. B

While it was ok with the food, it really didn't do well with the stuffing (apple, dried apricot, raisins, etc). If she does this recipe again I'm thinking a Spätlese.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.