The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Interesting Wine Weekend!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Interesting Wine Weekend!

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:05 am

A lot of tastings! But this WAS over four days, not two!

2013 Wind Gap Rose: At Vini in Davis. Outstanding salmon color. Saline, bright, mouth watering rose. Delicious!

2009 Domain Drouhin Brouilly Cru Beaujolais So...it depends what you want in Beaujo. This was a very tasty wine, but definitely on the dark, roasted fruit (not in an over ripe way) flavor profile that spoke more of Syrah! However, there was a nice whisper of baeujolais fruitiness on the finish. I liked this...but it was just atypical.

2013 Bertrand Picpoul de Pinet. This was a bright, stingy, and delicious summer quaffer! Nice wine.

2013 Donkey and Goat Grenache Noir. Black as night, with strong black pepper notes and a fresh juicyness that was quite appealing. Not a typical grenache, but the strawberry fruit did come through, again, on the finish. I loved the pepperyness! Fernaughty Vineyard

2013 Donkey and Goat Grenache Blanc. Delicious white peaches and citrusy notes. Not waxy at all, in fact this wine showed great cut and acidity. A major success for the winemakers!

2010 Lusu Cellars El Dorado Zinfandel.
What a lively, slurpable Zinfandel. No burning of the throat or cough syrup texture! Instead, we have bright berry fruit, some funkyness, and deliciousd, lively acidity. This young winemaker is honestly one to watch. I can't wait to see his next lineup of wines (he is waiting for his darn labels, he told me!)
http://www.lusucellars.com/pages/wines

2012 Vine Cliff Napa Chardonnay. Definitely a rich Chardonnay with some new oak evident, but the Carneros fruit really showed a lovely melange of tropical and bright flavors. I shouldn't like the style, but I liked this despite myself!

2006 Vine Cliff Napa Valley Cabernet. Delicious early bloomer. Some nice bottle bouquet and earthy, funky maturing notes. Good acidity, nice cassis fruit. A fantastic maturing cab! The highlight of the tasting. Damn. he was pouring at least 1/3 glasses and this was my one stop I allowed myself on a cycling trip Sunday. :shock: Beautiful remodeled space. Can't believe this was the decrepit St. Helena Wine Company location for years!

2010 Scholium Project Arrows of Apollo Mead Ranch Zinfandel. With sausages and peppers on the grill...a great match. Yum. Abe really nailed this. Another atypical zinfandel, this could have been a funky French "natural wine". Great cut and acid (believe it or not!) with bright berry fruit and a strong funkyness that really went well with the food!

2012 Campo Vida Campo di Bianca White "Rhone" Blend, Mendocino County. Another winning white wine from Campo Vida. Peach, pear, a strong saline note added to the appeal. Went very well with the salad course! Lithe body and texture. Cut from the acid made this a great food wine. Organic and Biodynamic fruit.

2011Copain Tous Ensemble Mendocino Syrah Wow! So French in more than name. Bright blueberry, great cut, a touch of funk in a good way. Yum! I am very happy Joe and Donna have joined the Copain wine club! And...this was their entry level Syrah...CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! Total ringer for a cool year Northern Rhone syrah.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach