The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ferrara Generations III Calif Tawny Port...(short/borin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ferrara Generations III Calif Tawny Port...(short/borin

by TomHill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:24 pm

Tried this last night out on the portal w/ Susan watching the sun sink behind the Jemez and the bats swooping & swirling after insects:
1. FerraraWineCllrs Calif Generations III Lot I Tawney Port Style Red Dessert Wine (19.5%) Escondido NV: Med.light rather brown color; slight alcoholic rather caramel/aged old Port/smokey/dusty grapey/raisened/pruney/PX-Lite some vanilla/oak quite complex old Port nose; fairly sweet intense grapey/raisened/pruney caramel/vanilla/Bourbon/Am.oak creme brulee/toasted marshmallow/toffee old Port quite complex/perfumed very smooth/silky flavor; very long/lingering vanilla/Am.oak/caramel/creme brulee/toffee rather grapey/raisened/pruney complex old Port finish w/ no signs of oxidation whatsoever; a beautiful old Tawny Port. $7.00 (CB)
There's not a lot of information out there on this wine. The winery was established in 1932. It was put up for sale in 2011. I guess it was not sold. They still have a WebSite (http://www.FerraraWinery.com) that is sorta old timey in appearance. The later Gen III ports did not, apparently, have a Lot # designation. This was Lot I, which I presume is their first bttlg of that wine. I got it, I believe, from DarrellCorti around the late '70's. It was probably from an old Solera started back in the '30's. Probably made from Zin & Carignane grapes. I guess I'll just have to make stuff up if I am to provide any more information.
Anyway..I was mightly impressed w/ this TawnyPort. It was not nearly as Porty/alcoholic as many Portugal versions seem to be. A real step back in time.
Tom