The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Luneau-Papin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Luneau-Papin

by Saina » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:51 pm

I'm still enjoying the copious amounts of fresh fish I can get and opening lots of Muscadet to go with it. Fish is the best part of living in Finland; the lack of Muscadet (and Loire in general) is the worst. But gladly Richard Shama of Wine Bear came to my rescue and I bought tons of Muscadet to tide me over this summer.

Luneau-Papin Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Domaine du Verger Sur Lie 2012
12%. Nicely citric style; electric yet pure fruit. A bit one-dimensional in comparison to other L-Ps but still fun. But does anyone know what D. du Verger actually is? I can't seem to find any info in a language I could read.

Luneau-Papin Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Terre de Pierre Butte de la Roche 2010
12% abv. Weird but good stuff. On the one hand it smells classically Melony with plenty of saline, citric, mineral and leesy character; yet on the other, it's almost like a late-harvest wine in its intensity and concentrated fruit. But despite its size and apparent fruit-sweetness it finishes dry, acidic and powerful. Big but awesome.

Luneau-Papin Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Vieilles Vignes Sur Lie Clos des Allées 2012
12% abv. I was expecting to like this the most of all these LPs but no. This is great, too, but needs age and isn't particularly attractive just now. It smells of some things that it should smell of like sweat and reduction and even cold fermentation aromas like pears. The palate has a combination of richness and electricity. I think this might be one of the Muscadets that not only can age but requires it. There are many exciting things going on here. And the balance between those many exciting things is impeccable. I guess I'll open my next one next summer. My hunch is that this will turn out great.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Luneau-Papin

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:54 am

I only have access to the entry level LP in Calgary but have never been disappointed. Should be some TN s posted here somewhere!