The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Lagune, Pepiere, Germain, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: Lagune, Pepiere, Germain, etc

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:57 pm

Got some Boston mackerel at farmer’s market, had with salad, leftover veggies, and the
2013 Pepiere “Briords” Muscadet. Vivid, bright, saline, not quite the depth of the 2012 but a fine bottle nonetheless. B+

Sunday was porterhouse, squash, arugala, and gazpacho with the 1975 La Lagune. A bottle of this at our big vertical was cooked, so when I ran across a bottle in my cellar decided to give it a go. Quite tight when decanted , gradually opened up. For a ‘75 not so tannic, but there is still some tannic grip, with moderate acids and black plum fruit, with a good dose of cigarbox. Perfectly adequate mature claret, but not especially charming. B/B-

Last night a friend wanted to show off his new toys (smoker and rotisserie- and yes I want both) and invited us and another couple. With his home smoked salmon the NV Thierry Germain “Bulles de Roche” Saumur. Moderate petillance, bright acids, apples and lemon. Maybe a bit coarse, but nice length and a good way to start. B

We moved to the deck with plates of pork butt, squash, salad, corn, salsa, and had some reds
2005 Poggio il Castellare Brunello di Montalcino
Midweight, dried cherries, nice acid/tannin/fruit balance, I’d have liked a lot more but the new wood flavors were a bit obtrusive. B-

2009 Ch. Larose Trintaudon

Plummy, young, some wood, B/B-

2004 La Roquete (Brunier) Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Medium bodied, not jammy, red fruit with spice notes. B

2012 Mas Donis
Soft, jammy, some wood, not my style. C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.