The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Betwen stuffing and the tree

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

TN: Betwen stuffing and the tree

by Mark S » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:52 am

Wines sandwiched in between the festivities:

François Cazin, Cour-Cheverny,'cuvee Renaissance', 2002
Chenin-blanc like chalk and lemon grind. Sweet Sprite® flavors with a chalk finish. Lots of bright acidity here along with 3 fruits marmalade. Good stuff, but slightly sweet and not bone dry.

Fattoria Laila, 'Lailum', Marche Rosso IGT, 2001
Black red colored. Closed black fruit aromas; Dusty black cherry, dark plum skin, somewhat reduced. The Fattoria's trebbiano is much livelier and cheaper.

Dom. du Caillou, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 'les Quartz', 1999
A major disappointment. I was expecting southern France and got Nowheresville instead. menthol and dark fruits on an otherwise unrevealing nose. Plum & cassis (what's Bordeaux doing here?!) and full-bodied almost menacingly thick but without lift, this does open up a bit upon the second day so there might be hope yet, but wait: WTF is the garrigue???!!! The floral perfume good Chateaunuef should have? Good question, and these Caillou needs to go back to their fields and find it.

Chateau Simone, Palette, 2003
A mediterranean white. Light bronzed honey gold colored. Lemon Pledge® on the nose, but muted. Lemon oil and acorn flour on the palate, very austere and very dry. Has a chunky dullness to it, like that kid in the back of class who never spoke to anyone and always made it to the buses just before they drove off. Easy Pass for me. Give me a Cassis over this anyday.

Dujac, Morey-St-Denis, 2000
medium pinot colored, looks lighter than a previous bottle I had a year or two ago. Christmas spices and cherry-vanilla aromas fill up the glass. Cherry-mint julep on the palate, light in feeling with a structure telling me this won't be an ager. If you have any, drink soon (within a year).

Giuseppe Mascarello, Dolceto d'Alba, 'Santo Stefano di Perno, 2004
Blackcurrant-cherry juice colored. Medicinal bandage smell that blows off along with teaberry and morello cherry. Fresh squeezed cherry juice and spicy camphor flavors, this needs time to smooth out. A slight austerity to this. Ideally, this needs to sit for 2 more years for my tastes. A structured dolcetto.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: TN: Betwen stuffing and the tree

by Clinton Macsherry » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:51 pm

Nice notes, Mark. FWIW, I found the Nascarello Dolcetto a little less appealing than you did. Have you seen these come around with time in the past?
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:54 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:Nice notes, Mark. FWIW, I found the Nascarello Dolcetto a little less appealing than you did. Have you seen these come around with time in the past?

No, this is the first one, but I tend to like dolcetto with a little age on it (2-3 years after vintage date), and this one needed to smooth out a bit.
What didn't you like about it?
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 pm

Mark - regarding the Caillou, do you think it might be the vintage? I haven't detected that floral perfume found in CdP in any of the '99s I've tried. However, I did enjoy this particular one for the pleasure it offered. I just approach the '99s differently.
Diane