The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Super-Tuscans Part II

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Super-Tuscans Part II

by Saina » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:00 pm

Part I

Blind white, Australian, blend of Chardonnay & Roussanne Giaconda Nantua les deux still of unknown vintage....

At first when I tasted it, it was very oaky, very full bodied, very spoofy - but now with 6 hours air, I love it. Sure it smells oaky and spoofy, but there is a core of tight Musarblancish savouryness, The palate is too oaky, and low in acid, but does have a fair amount of savoury herbs. Quite an oddity: I really love parts of it, but why the bloody oak? Spoils it all, IMO.

Then a bit less blind:
Castello di Brolio: Casalferro 1999 (Sgv75+M25)

A pretty interesting, red toned nose with a prominent blood-like/tomato/rusty note to it. The palate is very full bodied, has pretty fine acidity to it, is tangy and "Italianate". The alcohol does come out a bit, but not as badly as with the others. Almost likable for me!

Castello di Fonterutoli: Siepi 1996 (Sgv50+M50)

A little schizophrenic nose: the sweet over-ripe strawberry notes are at war with the savoury, lifted, herbal notes. Very full bodied, with some nice aged notes, but still strong yet soft tannins. A nice aftertaste of some red-toned fruit. It seems the pieces are all fighting against rather than working with each other.

An odd wine because just after a short while in the glass it developed a very powerful scent of rye-bread/marmite that I associate with too old wines. It seems a totally disunited wine, though there are some nice elements in it.

Frescobaldi-Mondavi: Luce della Vite 1999 (Sgv50+M50)

Anonymous oak juice. Boring and international. Strawberry juice. Offensively confected nose. Inoffensive yet boring palate, rather tannic, yet with sweet fruit, but cocoanutty oak is foremost. Not to my taste at all.

Avignonesi & Capannelle: 50 & 50 2001 (M50+Sgv50)

Bluberry-like, liquorous nose, coconutty oak, coca cola. It does have fine depth, but the aromas are just such that I don't enjoy them. The palate is full of oak-spice, very woody, but at least is has adequate acidity and the alcohol doesn't come through. It is very tannic and very oaky and needs age. For my taste, I don't see it turning into a swan.

La Brancaia: Brancaia Il Blu 1999 (Sgv50+M45+CS5)

A savoury nose of ... oak. But hey! At least it's savoury! :) It might have a tiny touch of brett that brings a lovable animal quality to it. The palate is very full bodied. There is a really lovable bitterness to the palate, but otherwise I just don't like it. Just to add to the other sins, it has a hot finish.

Tenimenti Ruffino: Modus 2000 (Sgv50+CS25+M25)

A deep and tangy nose, sandalwood, oaky, the alcohol burns the nostrils. Very full bodied, rather tannic but too ripely fruity. Very fine acidity, but the alcohol is way out of the charts! (I don't know the alcohol of any of these, sorry, just going on what I taste.)

Antinori: Tignanello 1997 (Sgv80+CS15+CF5)

A very deep and savoury nose, red toned, Sangiovese-like. Very nice and savoury palate, though very full bodied. It has very nice acidity, noticable tannins and the aftertaste is fresh. A rather lovable wine. Even in half-blind tastings such as this, I seem to genuinely like Tignanello. I really should source some bottles both to try and to age - I've now had several vintages of Tig open, blind and half-blind and have genuinely enjoyed them. I guess this is a wine like Vietti's Barberas, that I like them though they are rather unlike my usual tastes.

Morris Farms: Avvoltore 1999 (Sgv75+CS20+S5)

The nose has some of the same savoury, bitter elements as the Tig, but is much too oaky and just isn't light on its feet. Sweet and rather confected taste, but it does have very fair acidity. It's actually not bad at all, if you like the style.

Ruffino: Cabreo Vigneto Il Borgo 1999 (Sgv70+CS30)

A very grapey nose, simple and fruity, very oaky and spoofy - ultimately boring. A nicely bitter and sweet palate, with fair acidity. Forgettable though competent.

San Felice: Vigorello 1997 (Sgv60+CS40)

This has some nice savoury sandalwood tones, but the alcohol stings the nose. The palate is sweetly fruity, a bit bitter, not too interesting but does have fine acidity. The much too high alcohol mars the aftertaste. (Note to self: must find out what the alcohol levels of these wines are.)

Blind: Extremely blind red wine (will edit once I know what it is)

A rather raisiny nose, but with some nice earthy ntoes also. The palate was sweetly fruity, a bit raisined, but it seems to suit the style - a decent effort, not too alcoholic, but sweetly fruity thought not a dessert wine.

Some sforzato IIRC, but will edit the name once reveiled.

-Otto-
Last edited by Saina on Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Super-Tuscans Part II

by Ian Sutton » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:21 am

Otto
The Giaconda will be the Nantua les deux (Chardonnay/Roussanne)
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Super-Tuscans Part II

by Saina » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:38 pm

Thanks Ian. Still hoping for updates on the vintage and the blind red.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.