The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SWR: Julia Child Dinner at St. Jacques French Cuisine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

SWR: Julia Child Dinner at St. Jacques French Cuisine

by JC (NC) » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:43 pm

Went to Raleigh Wednesday night for this dinner--first Julia Child Dinner sold out in a week so a second one was added and over 100 guests attended the two evenings combined. Wine was a bit secondary to the food but I was surprised how well I liked two of the wines poured which sell for only about $12 a bottle!
We were greeted with sparkling LOUIS PERDRIER BRUT EXCELLENCE. "The Louis Perdrier Brut is a blend of white french grapes including Ugni blanc, Colombard, Chenin, Folle Blanche, and Menu Pineau." For one who is picky about Champagne and sparkling wines, I really liked this and it was available for only $12 a bottle. I see that B-21 has it for only $8.99 a bottle. It had a distinctive lemony note.
The amuse bouche was a bite of quiche lorraine. The appetizer was so rich that I didn't finish my serving but the men at my table did finish theirs. It was a pate tiede de canard (duck) with foie gras en croute (in pastry) with raisin and truffle beurre blanc. Served with a glass of 2012 NICOLAS PINOT NOIR (also only $12 a bottle and very drinkable.)
The French onion soup is something of a specialty at St. Jacques and a small cup of that was our next course. We had a glass of 2012 Petit Caprice Cotes du Rhone with this. The palate cleanser was a lemon sorbet with candied lemon peel.
Lil, the owner, explained that we wouldn't be having Sole Meuniere as that calls for Dover sole which is only available at certain times of year and very expensive and has to be imported, etc. so we had Sole Creme Normandie with poached potatoes in a butter and parsley coating with lemon and mushroom and Creme Normande of white wine and butter. This was served with a 2011 Lamblin & Fils Chablis but I think I maybe missed out on this pour because I did not finish the Petit Caprice Rhone which I didn't like that well. I ate about 2/3 of the sole dish.
I loved the dessert of Julia Child's Master Crepe, a strawberry crepe with lemon sabayon. Lil mentioned brandy in one of the dishes but I'm not sure if that was in the sole sauce or in the strawberry crepe sauce. I finished with a cup of decaf. All this for $65 plus tax and tip.
Sitting to my right were a couple from Raleigh that were on the Tuscany trip I took in 2011 (led by Lil and his wife Lori.) At the far end of the long table were a couple that were on Lil's trip to Normandy with my sister and me in 2013. Two gentlemen across from me were new acquaintances.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: SWR: Julia Child Dinner at St. Jacques French Cuisine

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:14 pm

That crepe sounds delicious!
Decisions are made by those who show up