The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rhys

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian A

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:40 am

Rhys

by Ian A » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:49 pm

I am attending a dinner tomorrow night in London where we will be tasting a selection of Rhys Californian wines. We will be tasting wines from the 2008 and 2009 vintages: three Chardonnays, seven pinot noir and two syrahs.

It is an estate which I have heard good things about even from Brit burgophiles who tend to look down their noses at 'new world' pinots ? So am very much looking forward to it.

The producer that I really like over there is Ceritas, which I think is on the other side of SanFrancisco.

Has anyone here had any experience with either producer?
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Rhys

by Florida Jim » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Ian A wrote:I am attending a dinner tomorrow night in London where we will be tasting a selection of Rhys Californian wines. We will be tasting wines from the 2008 and 2009 vintages: three Chardonnays, seven pinot noir and two syrahs.

It is an estate which I have heard good things about even from Brit burgophiles who tend to look down their noses at 'new world' pinots ? So am very much looking forward to it.

The producer that I really like over there is Ceritas, which I think is on the other side of SanFrancisco.

Has anyone here had any experience with either producer?

Both.
Both make high quality wines that deserve some age.
The 2008 and 2009 Rhys wines will likely show young.

On a personal aside, if you happen to get a pour of the 2008 Rhys, Skyline Vineyard, Pinot, may I suggest you keep it in your glass for awhile and follow it over as long a period as you are able - quite a wine.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Ian A

Rank

Wine geek

by Ian A » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks Jim this is the line up

Canapes (most likely Gordal olives, salted Marcona almonds, Bayonne ham and Comté gougères)
2009 Rhys Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains (Santa Cruz Mountains)
2009 Rhys Chardonnay Horseshoe Vineyard (Santa Cruz Mountains)
2008 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard (Santa Cruz Mountains)

Lamb sweetbreads and tongue with petits pois à la française and pancetta
2008 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast (Sonoma Coast)
2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard (Anderson Valley)
2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard (San Mateo County)
2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Home Vineyard (San Francisco Bay)

Roast grouse with game chips, bread sauce, pâté and damsons (may contain shot)
2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard (Santa Cruz Mountains)
2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard (Santa Cruz Mountains)
2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Skyline Vineyard (Santa Cruz Mountains)
2008 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard (Santa Cruz Mountains)
2008 Rhys Syrah Skyline Vineyard (Santa Cruz Mountains)

So the Skyline is at the end
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:16 pm

A rare chance.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:50 pm

I tend to find the Rhys wines richer than those from Ceritas, but both offer outstanding depth and balance.

I am actually a huge Rhys Syrah fan. I wish they made more.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Ian, are you still having the event at the Medlar? My brother raves about the restaurant.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Think of the Alesia PN as more of a village level PN while the Rhys PN's more like cru level..your burgophile buddies will probably love the chards. Kevin does a very nice job re his wines.
Jon
no avatar
User

Ian A

Rank

Wine geek

by Ian A » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for the thoughts and advice...yes I agree it is a rare chance not to be missed...Bob it is indeed at the Medlar. Less than an hour from now.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:20 pm

JEALOUS! Have liked very much the few wines I've had from both producers. A Ceritas' chardonnay was probably the most perfect NW chardonnay I've ever had. And Rhys' pinots are to die for.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Ian A wrote:Thanks for the thoughts and advice...yes I agree it is a rare chance not to be missed...Bob it is indeed at the Medlar. Less than an hour from now.

Lovely, look forward to the news. How many UKers..32?

Guess Simon G will be posting in the hour?!!
no avatar
User

Ian A

Rank

Wine geek

by Ian A » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Simon Grant who is Britain's answer to Dale Williams has posted notes on cellartracker, which are an excellent review of these wines.

They are exceptionally good wines, but I think I went into the dinner with extremely high expectations.

If I had a quibble it would be that they lacked the excitement and complexity than one sometimes encounters with great burgundy. Maybe that will come with time.

There were plenty of TG moments but no FMTG movements or FMSW moments. The tectonic plates did not shift beneath my feet.

Some of the wines were - annoyingly - a little too warm, which made the analysis more difficult, and the plum sauce clashed aggressively with the pinots. This may have made them a little more diffuse than otherwise, but the second pinot flight was served at the correct temperature.

Regarding the pinots I preferred the high altitude examples, which had a little bit more pizzazz.

The syrahs were not in a good place.

My stand out wine was Skyline. It had more interest, complexity and wow factor than the others. I would have loved to spend more time analysing it, but it has some interesting rocky, mineral and saline notes.

I thought the Chardonnays were excellent, and would be happy to own a stash of the entry level one. The Horseshoe and the Alpine opened nicely through the evening, but were a little too warm by the time they had evolved.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Ian A wrote:The tectonic plates did not shift beneath my feet.

I have not had a lot of Rhys, but this doesn't seem like much of a metric for grading any wine.

Unless you're either a VERY strict grader or someone who has VERY unstable feet.
no avatar
User

Ian A

Rank

Wine geek

by Ian A » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:27 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Ian A wrote:The tectonic plates did not shift beneath my feet.

I have not had a lot of Rhys, but this doesn't seem like much of a metric for grading any wine.

Unless you're either a VERY strict grader or someone who has VERY unstable feet.

It was another way of saying they were very good wines but I was slightly underwhelmed by the experience. As I noted I went into this with high -perhaps too high - expectations.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:04 pm

I think everyone's expectations for Rhys are too high. They have been built up into some sort of monument that no wine can reach.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:55 pm

what David said +1...and the prices have been climbing
Jon
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:37 pm

No price increases for this fall's mailer.
no avatar
User

Ian A

Rank

Wine geek

by Ian A » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:09 am

Occasionally when extraordinary wine is poured the room goes silent and you can hear a pin drop. That didn't happen. But if I stumble across any bottles of Rhys I would like to keep them for a few years and revisit.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:24 am

David M. Bueker wrote:They have been built up into some sort of monument that no wine can reach.

Where? Is that a Berserkers thing? A wine media thing?

The sense I get here and at Disorder (perhaps not representative samples of the actual wine world but more than satisfactory for my wine world) is that they are delicious wines with lots of promise to keep getting better in future vintages. Nothing about holy grail monuments.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:58 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:They have been built up into some sort of monument that no wine can reach.

Where? Is that a Berserkers thing? A wine media thing?

The sense I get here and at Disorder (perhaps not representative samples of the actual wine world but more than satisfactory for my wine world) is that they are delicious wines with lots of promise to keep getting better in future vintages. Nothing about holy grail monuments.

Yeah, you're missing out on the Holy Roller choir by not visiting other sites, but then...you might have to convert! :wink:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:04 am

Yeah, pretty much Berserkers. That being said, I find so much material in these wines that I have tons of faith in lots of upside.

We would not expect 2008 Burgundies to be showing their cards at this point. Why would we expect that from high class Pinot such as Rhys?