The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Sheepskin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Sheepskin

by Florida Jim » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:34 pm

My daughter graduated from law school today. As alum of the school, I was invited to present her with her diploma. I am, as I have always been, immensely proud of her.
So we had a little party:

1995 Clos de la Coulée de Serant, Savennières Moelleux:
Made only twice and then in very small quantities this is 14% alcohol, burnished copper colored chenin blanc; smelling of stones and cooked sugar; tasting like lightly sweetened, very concentrated quince paste and displaying a texture of satin, this is extraordinary juice; acidic with good cut across the entire palate and finish, a depth of flavor that runs a subtle range of flavors that are almost impossible to describe, and, precise balance that at once makes me feel that this is bigger wine than it really is and still makes my mouth water on the finish. Aside from its scarcity, a pretty remarkable bottle. Enjoyed with sushi with wasabi dipping sauce, this was great counter-point. With sheep’s-milk cheese after, very smooth accompaniment. Imported by Paterno Imports and about $60 on release; there is so little of it made that I will never find it again – if I did, I’d buy all I could carry. Thanks Mark.

2002 V. Dauvissat, Chablis:
Closed in the first hour and not especially pleasant; thereafter, quintessential Chablis with that lemon-drop, high tension brightness, good depth and plenty of sustain. Damn good wine that needs a couple years. Imported by Vineyard Brands and about $25; if I could find more at that price, I’d buy alot.

2005 Giacosa, Dolcetto d’Alba:
Fruity, relatively complex wine that is true to its variety and place and displays more than the typical dolcetto. Still, docetto is simply not my thing – too much fruit (I know, that sounds odd but that’s about the best I can do.) Imported by Loscascio and about $17; I’ll not buy it again.

2005 Dom. du Clos du Fief (Michel Tete), Juliénas:
Deep, silken textured juice that is at once bright and broad, delineated and integrated, fat and full of cut and very, very long. As good as the appellation produces in a vintage to remember. Imported by Louis/Dressner and about $18; I have already bought a case and will go back for more.

2004 Giacosa, Barbera d’Alba:
I tasted this recently and can truthfully say it’s the only barbera I ever liked. I had to try it again and it was every bit as good this time as last. I think this could use a couple years in the cellar to be ‘at peak’ but it is quite delicious now. Imported by Locascio and about $24 (I may have quoted a lower price in my first note – I was wrong); I will buy this in quantity.

2001 Edmunds St. John, Los Robles Viejos:
A CdP blend from Paso; at first, both the nose and palate are a bit hard but everything opens up over the course of a meal to reveal the very best in these kind of blends; great flavors and aromas, supple textures, lots of complexity, a fine, long finish and, perhaps its greatest attribute, a simply fabulous food wine. Good now, better later. About $25 and I bought a bunch.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Sheepskin

by Dale Williams » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:36 pm

The wines sound great, the daughter better. Congrats.

I seldom get into Dolcetto either. It's not too much fruit for me, but the combination of low acidity and that denseness of the fruit.

But Dolcetto isn't important, big days are.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:20 pm

Jim, as many jokes as are made about us lawyers, no parent ever regretted that their child graduated from law school. And what a fitting way to celebrate it - with a bunch of wine that is all deserving of additional purchases.
So what school? Please, not UNC!
-ow - Duke Law class of '66
-OW
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:51 am

Congratulations to your daughter Jim! :D
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:15 am

OW Holmes wrote:Jim, as many jokes as are made about us lawyers, no parent ever regretted that their child graduated from law school. And what a fitting way to celebrate it - with a bunch of wine that is all deserving of additional purchases.
So what school? Please, not UNC!
-ow - Duke Law class of '66

Stetson.
Curiously, I never walked in any graduation ceremony; not high school, college or law school. The things we do for our kids - but then, it turned out pretty nice for me, too.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:17 am

Florida Jim wrote:Stetson.

In DeLand, Florida? My bride gave a talk there a couple of years ago, our first time to see the town or the university, both of which struck as as very nice indeed. Congrats to your daughter, Jim. I know you're rightly proud.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:40 am

Jim,
Congrats on your daughter's accomplishment.

FWIW, I had the 2001 ESJ Los Robles Viejos last evening with grilled lamb chops and it was much as you describe...lovely, elegant, balanced and a fine match with food. I thought it was interesting that it took almost 2 hours in the decanter for the Mourvedre component to emerge. The bottle is sitting on the counter this morning with a glass or two remaining. I plan on sipping later today.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:58 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:Stetson.

In DeLand, Florida? My bride gave a talk there a couple of years ago, our first time to see the town or the university, both of which struck as as very nice indeed. Congrats to your daughter, Jim. I know you're rightly proud.

Robin,
Three of the University's four colleges are in Deland but the law school is in Gulfport, a southern suburb of St. Petersburg and walking distance from my house.
She did well, better than I did if truth be told. And she overcame any number of obstacles in those three years that would likely to have dissuaded lesser folk.
Proud doesn't even come close.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:00 pm

Congratulations to your daughter and to you, Jim. As I've mentioned before, I loved practising law, and I hope she finds the fulfillment in the profession that I did.

Regards, and all the best to you both -- and the rest of the family. Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Good Luck to your daughter Jim! Nice notes, as is usual. Nice wines, for a very nice occasion. Congratulations!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:18 pm

Congratulations, but you should have really tried to interest her in a noble profession like enology/viticulture. 8)
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:57 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:Congratulations, but you should have really tried to interest her in a noble profession like enology/viticulture. 8)

Randy,
I'm still trying to interest me in that one. 8)
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars