The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Very Odd (errr "Unique") Cab: Domus Aurea 2001 (Chile)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN Very Odd (errr "Unique") Cab: Domus Aurea 2001 (Chile)

by Brian K Miller » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:48 am

Tried a unique, almost strange Chilean Cab today, "Domus Aurea," named after Nero's Palace (Golden House) in Imperial Rome. This was a fascinating and odd one, and seemed to be a staff favorite at the wine bar. Probably because it's so different.

Very strong minty element on both the nose and the palette. Some nice cherry fruit, herbs, a little bit of tobacco. Quite light in texture and mouthfeel, this is not a "heavy" unctuous wine at all (the tasintg had Marquis Phillips, too. what a rich bomb of a wine!) This is a case where the intellectual enjoyment, the sheer quirkiness, made me interested-this is not another Napa Cab or Bordeaux style blend at all. Rather pricey for Chilean wine ($40) so the QPR is not as good. Still, I bought a bottle for sharing with wine loving friends. Not sure I would open this one for casual drinkers.

Someone posted a comment or thread on how some wines appeal more to the intellect than the palette, per se. This is one of them, although it's not a wine I dislike at all. it's just very....odd.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach