The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: JCCllrs Syrahs...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: JCCllrs Syrahs...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:17 pm

We tried tonight (9/10/14) some JCCellars Syrahs:
1. JCCllrs Syrah VentanaVnyd/ArroyoSeco (15%; 129 cs; Drk: 11/10-11/20: JC) 2007: Very dark color; rather herbal/
black pepper very strong boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah/licorice classic Ventana/cold-climate light smokey/
Fr.oak/toasty bit Rhonish/ozone/pungent beautiful nose; bit tart rather herbal/green peppercorn bit metallic/
tangy strong boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah/peppery w/ light tight tannins; very long/lingering herbal/green
peppercorn very strong boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah/black cherry cola/DrPepper bit toasty/oak finish w/ light/
tangy tannins; much more expressive of Ventana/cold-climate Syrah than the '08; a beautiful rendition of
VentanaVnyd Syrah at a great price. $30.00
light toasty/oak flavor w/ some tight tannns; very long very strong boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah slight herbal
bit toasty/oak finish w/ more hard tannins; less cold-climte/herbal and a bit more intense Syrah fruit than
the '07; wonderful Ventana Syrah. $30.00
w/ light/soft tannins; almost more like Zin than Syrah; a pleasant enough Syrah but just that. $35.00
very unpleasant funky/wet dog fur aftertaste that ruins this wine; rather unthrilling Syrah. $35.00
some toasty/oak pungent/graphite flavor w/ some hard tannins; very long/lingering very strong spicy/blackberry/
boysenberry/Syrah pungent/Rhonish/smoked meats finish w/ some hard/firm tannins; needs several yrs more of age;
loads of Rhonish character and seems to be made w/ whole-cluster fermentation; a terrific up-Valley Syrah.
$45.00
boysenberry/Syrah some charred/oak finish w/ hard tannins; needs more age yet; loads of very strong pure Syrah
fruit & a good NapaVlly Syrah but simpler than the Caldwell. $55.00
tannins; very long strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah light toasty/oak bit peppery/licorice finish w/ light
smooth/round tannins; a pretty classic SBC Syrah along the lines of Jaffurs or AndrewMurray. $30.00
strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah quite spicy/bit peppery some toasty/oak finish w/ light/gentle tannins but
then a dreadful/wet dog fur/sour aftertaste wells up that ruins this wine. $30.00
blackberry/Syrah/very spicy very structured complex flavor w/ strong/rugged tannins; very long/lingering
very strong blackberry/spicy/Syrah light toasty/oak rather rugged/structured/mtn Syrah tangy/mineral/earthy
finish w/ hard/structured tannins; a pretty classic example of a mountain Syrah; needs more age. $60.00
hard/rugged tannins; very long/lingering intense blackberry/Syrah/spicy/peppery mineral/earthy/dusty/pungent
very structured complex finish w/ big/rugged/hard tannins; a very structured Syrah that needs much age; my
favorite of all these Syrahs. $60.00
blueberry/bit peppery/earthy/dusty strong toasty/oak finish w/ huge coarse/rough tannins; quite a good PS
because of its massive size but not as interesting as the Syrahs; hard to say if this PS will ever come
together to be something good. $50.00
blueberry strong smokey/toasty/vanilla/oak slight herbal/earthy finish w/ soft/very ripe tannins; a rather
interesting rendition of Mourvedre but would like a lot more structure. $35.00 (vSC)
_____________________________________________________________________________________
A wee BloodyPulpit:
1. I have, of course, followed JeffCohn from the very start....back in the days when he was a winemaker
for KentRosenblum. I remember when he showed me his first Syrah down at HospicesDuRhone and I was
quite impressed by it. Don't remember the source of his fruit, though. Or if he'd actually started
JCCllrs or not. He is, I believe, the only winemaker to win the HdR SyrahShootout three times. He
always looked so resplendent when he donned the winner's jacket. The jacket itself was plug-ugly...
but Jeff always brought a certain je ne sais quoi to the garment. With the demise of HdR, I'd
be curious to whatever happened to the jacket (and the bowling trophy...the first receipient of which
was the OnlyTheRhonely LosAlamos bowling team, for which I was the AIC).
Jeff's Syrahs are obviously pretty big Syrahs. Yet, they don't seem to be overblown like some Paso Syrahs
and they seem to carry the alcohol levels rather well. The Musci Syrahs were the least interesting of the
batch to me. His Ventana Syrahs (and Grenaches) always seem to show that cold-climate/peppery character
and are the ones I find most interesting. But it was the Haley/Rockpile Syrahs that most impressed me. They
have a rugged mountain Syrah character to them that reminds me of the rugged mountain character you get in
Howell Mtn Cabs. These are huge Syrahs and I hope that they will eventually come together as the rugged
tannins eventually age out.
All in all, this was a pretty impressive bunch of Syrahs. Jeff's Zins are also quite impressive.
Doug got to thinking about Syrah in the NorthernRhone and how it withstands the cold Mistral winds
there and decided that maybe Syrah might be a good match there at Ventana. I remember walking Ventana
w/ Doug in the late '70's and we were talking the usual stuff. We then came upon these rows a scrawny
vines and Doug proudly stated "...and this is my Syrah rows". I gave him this cockeyed look and said:
"Syrah in Monterey?? You gotta be kidding". He sorta shrugged his shoulders and commented "We'll see".
A few yrs later, when I tasted Doug's first Syrah, I was blown away by the slightly herbal, strong
ground black pepper...my first taste of Calif cold-climate Syrah. I was a believer from then on.
Of course, the rest is history. It was realized that Syrah was not just a Meditterenian grape, but
does very well in colder climes, and more cold-climate plantings followed Doug's. And, eventually, they
started planting Syrah above in the SantaLuciaHighlands, where the wines often display that slightly
herbal, intense boysenberry/black pepper fruit that makes the SLH one of the best Syrah regions in Calif.
Jeff's is the only VentanaVnyd Syrah I ever see anymore. Ventana still makes a Syrah (and Grenache), but
I haven't had one since Doug's tenure there. He sold Ventana and then went on to start DougMeadorVnyds, but
I think he's no longer making wine under that label. Whenever I taste Jeff's Ventana Syrah, which I like
quite a lot, it always takes me back to that cold/windy afternoon out at Ventana w/ Doug and the incredulous
idea of his planting Syrah in Monterey. Crazy, I thought.
It's something that I associate w/ oxidation because I most commonly find it in some sherries. I found this
far in the backtaste of the FessParker '09, which completely ruined that wine for me. I left all of these
Syrahs out on the counter overnight, and the wet dog fur character showed up in one or two other ones as well...
wines that I did not pick it up in the first go-around the night before. Don't know what this character is
but I certainly find it unpleasant.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: JCCllrs Syrahs...(long/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:17 pm

I share the liking for Rockpile Vineyard!

I was impressed when I tasted through his lineup earlier this year, and I discovered that I had already picked up a bottle of 2008 Rockpile, which I will hold based on your reco!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach