The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2010 Copain Tous Ensemble (Mendocino)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2010 Copain Tous Ensemble (Mendocino)

by Jenise » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Apparently, when I wasn't looking Copain put out a line of cheapie syrahs from various sites called Tous Ensemble. When I say 'cheap', I paid $19 off the shelf yesterday. The one I have in a glass in front of me right now is the Mendocino (there's an Anderson, maybe others); opened the bottle about ten minutes ago. WOW. For a Europhile palate, this wine, at $19, is just insane. It's focussed like a good northern Rhone of modest-plus ambitions with a gorgeously en pointe syrah nose and bright raspberry fruit with roasted meats on the palate. Overall fairly elegant with oak fairly non-evident, and there's nice acidity with subdued tannins that helps steer one's thoughts away from North America. Flavors seem to deepen by the minute. I am absolutely in love with this wine and can't remember a bargain at the $20 level retail that I enjoyed this much. Would never in my wildest dreams guess it was Californian. Tomorrow I'm going to go buy the rest of the case.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: 2010 Copain Tous Ensemble (Mendocino)

by James Dietz » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:02 am

There's also a Pinot. M
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:57 am

And chardonnay, I also saw on CellarTracker. Seems to be a catch-all designation. But signifying what, do you know?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:41 am

Jenise wrote:And chardonnay, I also saw on CellarTracker. Seems to be a catch-all designation. But signifying what, do you know?

Entry-level wines.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:38 pm

At the price, makes sense. But it sure doesn't taste/drink like a $19 wine. Doesn't have the weight or saturation of a $50+ syrah--but that's all the better. I just got back from shopping: brought home a case.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:25 pm

Always had good luck with these wines at restaurants.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:20 pm

I visited Copain back in 2008 after having heard good things from people who like elegance in wine, but what we found (even the Tous Ensemble wines) were still a little too high-octane for my tastes and my money. Sounds like they may have gotten even more elegant in recent years. And that's a great price for that much pleasure!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Rahsaan, I have a friend who used to be on Copain's list and he was bragging about how French they were. I couldn't imagine it, based on the early Copains I'd had. So he opened a bottle circa 2000 vintage and had to eat crow. No way it passed. I've read that the winemaker had an epiphany and is now cleaving toward a much more European style; andf this would be the first wine of his I've had since got religion. Obviously, it worked with me--probably helps that it's four years old now and came from exclusively Mendocino fruit.