The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lemelson, Den Hoed, Dusky Goose, Maison Bleue, others

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Lemelson, Den Hoed, Dusky Goose, Maison Bleue, others

by Jenise » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:39 pm

A few things we had lately:

2008 Saint-Laurent Merlot Wahluke Slope
Black fruit and black coffee nose marred by whiff of plastic. Restrained midpalate that never gets to where it seems like it might go with more time in the glass (at least in the hour or so we gave it), dry/too dry, with bitter finish. We were unable to finish a second glass/dumped the rest.

2010 Domaine Eden Pinot Noir Santa Cruz Mountains
Textbook pinot noir nose with extra minerality, spice, tomato skin and thyme. Currently showing everything it's got, and will age gracefully from here. Delightful.

2012 Maison Bleue Metis Blanc Columbia Valley White Rhone Blend
At The Willows. Bright and charming, a southern Rhone blend with emphasis on marsanne from one of WA's most interesting new winemakers. Flavors of apple, lemon and nectarine with a minimalist use of oak.

2011 Brian Carter Cellars Opulento Yakima Valley Port Blend
At The Willows. Ripe red fruit verging on jammy, voluptuous, pleasant, an easy pleaser. Would never mistake it for port.

2009 Den Hoed Marie's View Wallula Vineyard Horse Heaven Hills Red Blend
At The Willows. Plush Washington cab-blend, velveteen oak on black and red fruit. Harmonious and generous on the plate. More oak than I typically care for (I've tasted side by side with the other Den Hoed made by Rob Newsom of Boudreaux, and preferred Rob's) but I did find myself begging for another glass!

2009 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir Dundee Hills

At The Willows. Mouthfilling rich plum and dark cherry fruit with earth and spice. Terrific aromatics and finish, prime for current drinking. Was unfamiliar with this producer and it's pricepoint, but am not surprised to learn that it's expensive--it tasted luxurious. Very impressive.

2012 Lemelson Vineyards Chardonnay Reserve Willamette Valley
Classic chardonnay: apple, pear, lemon and a bit of spice from extra oak. Creamy mouthfeel, rich finish. Very nicely done.

2011 Domaine Bertrand Stehelin Côtes du Rhône Villages Sablet Blanc White Blend
Rich, surprisingly concentrated and quite elegant. A 'serious' white, best with food. Brought over by Tim; will buy some for my cellar.

1995 L'Ecole No. 41 Apogée Pepper Bridge Vineyard Walla Walla Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
Tired. I mean, okay to drink, but not unexpectedly its good days are over.

2010 Copain Syrah Tous Ensemble Mendocino County
In the same way that I have said that Parker's 88-91 point wines are my 93-95 point wines, this "entry level" syrah did not present to me like the 'entry level' wine it's meant to be. Medium bodied and bless it's heart for not being heavier, it drinks more like No Rhone than California syrah with initial aromatic funk and bright raspberry fruit and tar that develops bacon, roast beef, and herbs as it opens up in the glass. Drinks great now but should cellar well for 3-5 years. Crazy buy at $19.

2011 Château Doisy-Daëne Grand Vin Sec Bordeaux Contrôlée Sauvignon Blanc
Local wine guy brought one to bocce; adored it, bought some. Concentrated yet precise, attacks the palate with grapefruit and herbs, follows through with restrained fruit, lingering finish.

2013 Revoire & Fils Bandol Le Pont Rosé Blend
A Tempier and mouvedre rose fan, my expectations are high and this did not meet expectations. Assertively acidic and reluctant in the fruit department.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: Lemelson, Den Hoed, Dusky Goose, Maison Bleue, others

by Hoke » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:49 pm

Maison Bleue: you're right. It most certainly is an intriguing producer. I rank it up there with Rotie and Buty as wineries to watch closely.