The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Prager Grüner Veltliner Federspiel 2001 Hinter Der Burg

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

WTN: Prager Grüner Veltliner Federspiel 2001 Hinter Der Burg

by Bill Hooper » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:39 pm

While I've happily squirreled away a few 2001 Wachau Smaragde, this is my last bottle of '01 Federspiel. I think I lucked out: This may be precisely the correct moment in time to drink it -perhaps down to the second! The fruit is pureed tropical fruit, marmalade, pineapple, lemon. -A little floral with bees wax, aloe and tin mineral. The mouthfeel is supple and the acid is just starting to gracefully slip away. It really is a remarkable wine -then again, should I be surprised? Prager is money in the bank. 12% alc. $20?

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Prager Grüner Veltliner Federspiel 2001 Hinter Der Burg

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:53 pm

Bill, you and others, have confirmed that these GV`s need a little cellar time, so I am not giving up on a recent couple of seemingly average buys!!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Prager Grüner Veltliner Federspiel 2001 Hinter Der Burg

by Bill Hooper » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:37 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Bill, you and others, have confirmed that these GV`s need a little cellar time, so I am not giving up on a recent couple of seemingly average buys!!

Bob, I think this is especially true when dealing with Wachau, Kamptal and Kremstal wines. I've also heard that Wieninger from Wien (Vienna) makes wines that will continue to hold (the last 2001 I tried from them was corked). I haven't had too much experience with extremely old bottles, but I'm inclined to think (and have been told) that Smaragd wines from the Wachau will go for decades. They are roughly the equivalent of Auslese Trocken from Germany. Federspiel aren't generally made to last as long, which is why I felt it was time to open this one -and think in this case I was right. Others might attest to Federspiel gaining even longer. You might find that GV from Burgenland (which is really red wine country anyway) won't age well. I have been surprised by a delicious older Pinot Blanc from there though. I've also had an awesome Roter Veltliner recently from 1990 (from the Donauland). If you run across some older wines, I'd love to get your take on them.

Prost!
Bill