The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three bubblies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Three bubblies

by Jenise » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:53 pm

NV Knot Wines Halyard Brut Sparkling White Blend (Sonoma/Napa/Mendocino)
French nose. Good small bubble but could have finer mousse. On the palate, creamy with green apple, lemon, bread dough and a hint of ginger. A very very impressive new American bubbly; and an absolute steal for $15 on Last Bottle. Good thing I'd read positive discussions of it here on WLDG sometime before--I jumped on the offer, got a case and a half.

2003 Roederer Estate L'Ermitage Brut Anderson Valley Champagne Blend
Voluptuously elegant and substantial. Big and creamy but precise at the same time with focused flavors of lemon curd and biscuit. Coop said it's the best California bubble he's ever had; I agree.

2005 Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru Millésimé Chardonnay
Floral and a bit sweet-flabby and therefore not much substance--nothing about it said "Grand Cru". Bad bottle?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Three bubblies

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Feuillatte is generally undistinguished, and 2005 is an odd vintage, so bad combination.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:15 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Feuillatte is generally undistinguished, and 2005 is an odd vintage, so bad combination.

That's been my impression of Feuillatte pretty much, too.

Have you had the Knot bubblies yet?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:16 pm

I have knot.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Gave you a lot of rope there, didn't I. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:48 pm

I couldn't leave you hanging.
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Feuillatte is a CM and not a particularly distinguished one (IMO). I've had RC's and many RM's that were better. Champagne Mailly comes to mind as an above average CM producer. I've had some really nice high end wines from them. RC's are rather hard to find in the US, but pay attention. What you don't want is an MA (Marque d'Acheteur) or ND, both of these are buy-outs and have the lowest credentials.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:13 pm

Richard, thanks.

Question to you and David, who said that 05 is an odd vintage. Details? I have seen a lot of 'sales' on 05 which caused me to suspect it might be a warmer/earlier kind of vintage in Champagne as one might suspect based on 05 in general, so I've stayed away in favor of picking up 02's and 04's, but I really don't know what went down in 05. Elaborate on 'odd'?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Comments on 2005 come from both Terry Theise and Brad Baker. Both know their Champagnes. To quote Terry:

2005 is the geosmin vintage or whatever the hell it is, or was. Its basic nature is an undisciplined power; it is not a gracious vintage, even when it’s clean. Often it tastes like the soapacious side of Pinot Blanc. Yet one finds exceptions, wines of a certain gracefulness that absorbed their strength of fruit. And as for the dubious aspects, that rotten potato thing so many of them had… all I can say is let’s get ready to HUM-BLLLE… because we didn’t know where it came from or why, and now we don’t know where
it’s disappearing to (in some wines) or why.

I found the 2005s to have an "earthy" element in some cases, which is probably my interpretation of Terry's comments.