The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 4 French, 1 Spanish

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 4 French, 1 Spanish

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Betsy made a lovely dish of mussels and white beans over pasta, cooking and dinner wine was the 2013 Los Navales Verdejo (Rueda). I didn’t love this - nice citrus, funky herby note, but seemed somewhat short on finish. But revisited on day 3 it was holding well, clean, with just a hint of nuts, and a good finish for level. I said C+/B- - when I wrote night one, I’ll say B- now.

With roast chicken, teeny brussels sprouts, acorn squash mash, and salad, the 2013 Clos de Roilette (Coudert)Fleurie. When first opened I got this funny plant note I often get from Loire Gamay, and refer to as geranium. I don’t love that, but it was over a nice body of raspberry and cherry fruit and mocha, and well-balanced structure of good acids, light but firm tannins, and a good finish. The geranium fades, and I really like by end of night and on day 2. B+

With flounder, brown rice with marinated shiso, & roasted broccoli & cauliflower, the 2011 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey “La Chateniere” Saint-Aubin 1er Cru. Young, big, good acids, pear and hazelnut, there is a lot of wood here, but I think it will integrate. B+/B

Long Sunday where Betsy had a concert and I had an all day meeting, but she put together a
pot roast in a slow cooker before she left, I made a salad when I got home, and opened the 1989 Fonsalette “Cuvee Reserve” Cotes du Rhone when she said she was approaching. Good match with pot roast on a cool fall night, warm and full, mature, black fruits, smoke. B/B+

Tonight I made urad dal with turnip greens, broccoli curry, and an arugula salad, we opened the
2013 Lapierre Morgon. Red fruits (cherry and cranberry), herbs, lots of mineral crunchiness. Vibrant acids, light tannins, good length. Some spice and game notes with time. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Re: WTN: 4 French, 1 Spanish

by John F » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:28 pm

I love the Lapierre Morgon....great value in my mind. I hate the wax top.......what is your method for opening those without too much mess in or out of the bottle?

Thanks
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Good question, John. The other night Bob, in between a lot of F words, wondered how others do it. Someone, he's convinced, knows something we don't.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:40 am

I know lots of people like to try to soften wax, etc, and remove wax, but with wax capsules (for me primarily Lapierre, Foillard, whichever Cotat,PYCM- I no longer can afford Raveneau or Fourrier) I use the time-honored method. Place in sink or on dishtowel, drill through wax, pull cork up maybe an inch, clean edges (though 80% of time pretty clean breaks), finish removal.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:48 am

Same as Dale. Ever since I gave up trying to remove the wax before opening things have gotten a lot easier, and much less messy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks; I know Bob just chips away at it, like the other night opening that Dunham. Will try the drill method next time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:08 am

I think we have our answer!! I have been trying to "peel" the wax off with the end of the corkscrew and that is definitely not the way!