The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rosso di Montalcino can be great!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Rosso di Montalcino can be great!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:42 pm

At a recent Sangiovese wine tasting downtown, I was quite impressed with the 2012 Rosso di Montalcino Il Poggione. A few here know I am no expert on Italian reds but for $22 Cdn, this one hit the spot.
All about red fruit, cherries, integrated tannins, sweetlike wild berries. The violets on the nose were very inviting. Not too tart on the palate and I thought great value, guess a lot cheaper elsewhere? This was a very drinkable wine, is this producer renowned for Brunello di Montalcino?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Rosso di Montalcino can be great!

by Tim York » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:52 pm

Indeed, it can :D . Over the years I have enjoyed quite a few with food where tangy Tuscan Sangiovese is indicated. I don't think I have ever had a Brunello or Rosso from Il Poggione, though the name is familiar.
Tim York
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:14 am

I think Il Poggione is known for Brunello. Ciacci Piccolomini also has a nice Rosso di Montalcino in some vintages (I haven't had it enough to generalize but liked the one or two I have tried.)

From Montalcinoreport.com:
Tenuta Il Poggione is one of the three original producers of Brunello di Montalcino and began making the wine in the late 19th century together with Biondi-Santi and Frescobaldi.

For more than a century, Il Poggione has been one of the leading producers of Brunello and has always made and continues to make its Brunello from 100% Sangiovese grapes grown on estate-owned vineyards.
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:57 am

Il Poggione is a benchmark Brunello for me, I make sure to buy every new vintage release on my yearly visits to my in-laws in Toscana. There are years that it is truly great, and years when it is "merely" very good indeed. Moreover it is very fairly priced*, at least when purchased in the region. Finally I enjoy reading a blog by one of their winemakers at http://www.montalcinoreport.com/, which is a mix of winery news, general musings and reports on weather and vineyard news in the Montalcino area. From time to time he also posts seasonal recipes for local dishes which are fun to try.

*prices in decent wine shops in places like Siena, Colle val d'Elsa or Firenze are usually in the range of $ 30 per bottle for their latest vintage of Brunello, the rosso will go for something like $ 12-15.
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:13 pm

comparing rosso to brunello is interesting. often the producers of the superior DOC go overboard and the lesser one turns out better - at least in its category and maybe altogether. you are more likely to 'overmake' brunello than rosso. the major wine scorecards typically reward the overmade wines and undervalue the simply lovely wines.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:36 pm

David Creighton wrote:comparing rosso to brunello is interesting. often the producers of the superior DOC go overboard and the lesser one turns out better - at least in its category and maybe altogether. you are more likely to 'overmake' brunello than rosso. the major wine scorecards typically reward the overmade wines and undervalue the simply lovely wines.

I very much agree. The rosso's are usually about 1/2 the cost, maybe .5% lower ABV and ready to drink sooner. What's not to like? Not to mention, better with the food. But like any other wine, you can't make too many generalizations, but you can always go back to a lesser sangiovese from Chianti or even Molise or Romagna.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman