The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Road trip: Wine Tasting in the Santa Clara Valley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Road trip: Wine Tasting in the Santa Clara Valley

by Jenise » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Last weekend we met up with three other couples to sample wines in the Santa Clara Valley. To be honest, I don't think I had ever heard of the Santa Clara Valley AVA before. I hadn't even been to San Jose, not really; I'd zipped through it and past it on numerous occasions without so much as stopping for gas. For those not familiar, San Jose is at the northern end of the Santa Clara Valley, and the majority of wineries are nestled around Gilroy, San Martin and Morgan Hill some 20-40 miles south.

They were having a fall passport weekend, a style of event others in my group had participated in other California regions and enjoyed: wineries poured many wines, there was good food at every stop, live music played, and so on. Here? Not so much.

On Day One of our trip we visited Ridge Winery, some 2300 feet above it all and from where you can see the construction of Apple's new headquarters, among other things. Ridge gives a GREAT tour and tasting (for a $30 fee). We started with a pour of the 2012 Estate Chardonnay (all the past bottlings labeled Santa Cruz Mountain are now called 'Estate'), then went and walked around the vineyards, and returned to a sit-down tasting of several reds including 2012 Pagani Ranch and Geyserville and the 2011 Monte Bello. The Chardonnay showed a bit more alcohol than I would have expected but I loved it's richness (and brought home a few bottles, as well as a Monte Bello chardonnay). The Pagani Ranch was very open and the wine you should drink while the sterner Geyserville sleeps, and the Monte Bello was, owing to the vintage, just a bit lesser than you would want it to be while still being Monte Bello.

On our return to town we stopped at the next winery downhill from Ridge, hoping for some of the Ridge locational magic but it was not to be. The name was something like Pechetti, and since I have nothing nice to say about the wine I'm not even going to take the time to make sure I've got it right. The wines were awkward, inconsistently imbalanced and screamed American oak. And pricing, in the high 30's to 40's, seemed more aimed at the big spenders spilling over from Ridge above than realistically in line with their quality.

The next day we officially began our Passport day, paying our fee and getting a cute little book at Guglielmo Winery in Morgan Hill, a very cool little town with some good restaurants near where we were staying. It's a beautiful facility that dates to around 1908 when the ancestral Guglielmos arrived from Italy. The low mission style buildings and antique winemaking equipment scattered about distract your eye from all the modern wine equipment and tankage on the back 40 that belies the 'small family winery' motif: they pump out 150,000 cases per year. Some under their own label, but more as second and third labels for others. As I stood listening to the spiel, I could remember standing in a BevMo or Total Wine a few weeks ago trying to score some quaffer level zinfandels for a neighborhood tasting and passed on some unfamiliar wines whose back labels, for all that they looked like different producers from the front, all read "Produced and bottled in Morgan Hill, California". The dots connected.

Here we tasted a weird chardonnay that they'd purchased bulk and hated so much that they put it on some pinot grigio lees they had lying around, plus a couple of so-so reds, including a '97 that was obviously corked. When I pointed that out to the pourer, a senior citizen who was not talking about the wines but using this opportunity to hold court by bragging about his long, tedious history of managing tasting rooms, he poured some into a glass, took a big gulp, and then proceeded to swish it around--left, right, up, down, repeat, just like mouthwash. Then he swallowed and said, "I don't find it." :shock:

From there we went to a winery by another Italian family where the adult granddaughter was pouring eight 2008 vintage wines made by her grandpapa (grand-puh-PAH). Four were "a sweeter style" and four were "our full-bodied dry reds." I only tasted the second four, and all were maderized and excessively sweet for 'dry' wine. As sweet as the family, I should add, so I hated not liking the wines, but. Then we went to another winery pouring just two wines, both of which tasted like kerosene. Absolutely awful.

Discouragement had set in by the time we reached our fourth stop, Martin Ranch, which I dare mention by name because there were actually some decent wines there. They only poured five from their rather extensive lineup, but that seemed like a lot compared to what we'd been served elsewhere. They have two labels because the owners are husband and wife and each is a winemaker. The Therese wines were hers, the DJ Hurley wines his. It was the Therese wines that showed best, in particular a very peppery syrah and a nice cab franc. A 15.5% pinot noir was a poster child for why you shouldn't grow pinot noir in a hot climate, and it was also the wine that revealed my pourer to be the biggest idiot of the day, as he explained that pinot noir has come out of relative obscurity to triumph in California and Oregon, and--get this!!--"even Washington state is becoming synonymous with the grape." That's a verbatim quote.

"No it's not," I stated flatly, and when he persisted I said "I live in Washington; I know." That's not true, he said, "everyone's making pinot up there." "No," I corrected him, "almost no one is. Just one or three wineries along the Columbia River who mostly get their fruit from Oregon. Everyone else is actually growing cabernet, merlot and syrah." Somewhere during that sentence he just started talking over me, went on with his spiel as if I'd said nothing, so I moved to another pourer. Jerk.

From there we went to a pretty Tuscan Villa style winery that poured just two wines of the 5 or 6 they make, a very good (but not $40 good) chardonnay and a highly extracted petite sirah. All their wines had new-agey inspirational names that sounded like chapters out of a Deepak Chopra book. Drink these wines and find your inner self! Spare me.

To give Santa Clara one more chance, we headed back in the direction of our hotel in Morgan Hill. Where all the other wineries had been highly recommended by the sales manager at our first stop, this was our own wild card pick because it was geographically convenient. The winery was actually a suburban home with some grotesquely amateur artchitectural embellishments in progress to make it look like a castle. The first pour was a godawful 2007 Sauvignon Blanc about the color, and imbibable pleasure, of anti-freeze. A riesling and a sweet champagne made up the rest of the white card, so I skipped those and went to the reds which were as odd as you'd guess with that portentious start. One was a blackberry-merlot blend. We left--and found ourselves a brewery.

Best joke of the day: "Maybe we should have gone to Temecula."

The following day we all went our own ways, and Bob and I headed over to Santa Cruz where we planned a drive up the coast to Pescadero before heading back to San Jose for our early evening flight home. Rather than have a conventional lunch, we decided to take advantage of the myriad casual, inexpensive Mexican options and stage a beef taco contest, stopping at one Tacqueria after another until we'd had our fill and declared a winner.

It was a beautiful sunny day in Santa Cruz, but a mile or three after we turned north onto Highway 1 off of 17 we hit a wall of fog. A bit more driving and it was quite clear that this condition would persist all the way to San Francisco, so when we got to a sign that said Bonny Doon we headed up that road, out of the fog and back into the sun and the old redwoods of the Santa Cruz mountains. I expected the Bonny Doon winery to be up there, but lo and behold instead there is a town called Bonny Doon and that is where we found ourselves. There is a winery there, but it's called Beauregard which we had not known of before.

We stopped in for a visit, where they poured us an 07 Pinot Noir, an 06 Syrah and an 03 Cabernet Sauvignon, all of which were relatively excellent and aging well. What a find this place was. The 03 Cab will be a long termer--it's only on the brink of middle age. The winery owns 13 acres of vineyards up there, all of which were planted in 1949 by the grandfather of the two men who now run the winery. Sadly, the vineyards were torched by one of those big California wildfires after harvest 2007 and replanted in 2008--same grapes, same everything, just as it was. Everything but the wines, that is. We tasted several of the new stuff from the young vines, and all were unruly at this point like the children they are. In all, though, a nice way to leave the area with a good taste in my mouth.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

Re: Road trip: Wine Tasting in the Santa Clara Valley

by Mark Willstatter » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:26 pm

I expected the Bonny Doon winery to be up there, but lo and behold instead there is a town called Bonny Doon and that is where we found ourselves.

Randall Grahm did get started there and winery, distillery and tasting room were all in the town but it's been a long time and the winery has been through several incarnations since. I believe Pierce's disease wiped out the vineyards there but that might not have been the only reason for relocation. I think these days most of the grapes are a little south of where you were, near San Juan Bautista, the winery in Santa Cruz somewhere. I think the tasting room these days is in Davenport, on Highway 1 just a little north of where you turned inland.

It sounds like the wine of the southern Santa Clara county hasn't changed much since I lived in San Jose. We used to enjoy the occasional drive in the country down there but learned not to expect much from the wine.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nice Report.....

by TomHill » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:12 pm

Nice report, Jenise, on what sounded like a wasted weekend.
The 2'nd Italian-named wnry you visited was undoubtedly Pedrezzetti. You did try their GarlicWine, didn't you?? :-)
Probably the high-point of a pretty sorry lineup.
RandallGrahm's BonnyDoon vnyds all fell to Pierce's disease. They moved the wnry from BonnyDoon (the town) yrs ago as the greatly expanded production (BigHouseRed/CardinalZin/Ca'DelSolo/etc) into industrial space in BonnyDoon. I don't know if they continue w/ a tasting room in BonnyDoon (the town) or not.
Too bad you didn't know about the wine bar Soif in downtown SantaCruz. You coulda got some very good wines there.
SantaClara used to make some stellar wines in the '60's-'70's. One of the greatest Calif Cabs I've had was a Mirassou SantaClaraVlly Cab '68 that was easily the equal of the MonteBello. And some terrific PetiteSirah. Alas, most of the SantaClara vnyd land & orchards went to housing, urban expansion, & fast food restaurants.
South of SanJose iis the town of SanMartin, which used to be the home of SanMartinWnry. They made some decent low-end/rather bland/innocuous wines and a Montenico Angelica that was monumental.
As you say..."Shoulda gone to Temecula". :lol:
Tom
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:18 pm

At Ridge, you were only about 2 miles as the crow flies from Rhys. In fact, you might be even be able to see Rhys from the crushpad, over the San Andreas Fault, and on the next ridge to the west. It's a shame you were so close but you didn't visit, although I think you might have to be on the mailing list for a visit there.

A couple summers ago, I went with a friend to Ridge Monte Bello, and had a wonderful visit. We spent a couple hours there. Then, after lunch we headed across the fault and visited Rhys, where we tasted some of the best domestic wines I've ever had the pleasure to sample. The Syrah we tasted ('10 Horseshoe Vyd if I recall correctly) especially grabbed me, and in fact I'd put it right up there with Washington's best. All in all, probably the best single day of wine touring I've ever experienced.

On that trip we also visited Santa Cruz, made the trip up to Bonny Doon and visited Beauregard. A mixed bag I thought, but the best of the wines there were very good. I think I ended up taking home a bottle of their Chardonnay. Down in town, my favorite was Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard, and particularly their Quinta Cruz line, which features Portuguese grape varieties. Unmistakably California wine, rich and fruity, but with real style and interest.

Up in the Santa Cruz mountains, we visited a few wineries, but the one I'd call out there is Windy Oaks. All estate-grown fruit, and clear and transparent expressions of place. We also ranged south and visited Calera that day, which was well worth the detour.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Jenise wrote:Best joke of the day: "Maybe we should have gone to Temecula."

Fair to say you're going to lose the way to San Jose?? :P
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:42 am

Sounds like fun, Jenise, even with the bad wines!

I actually bicycled up Bonny Doon Road a couple of years ago (quite a grind!) and had a very fun visit at Beauregard. I thought there wines were decent, if not overwhelming. As other posters have noted, Bonny Doon Winery is now relocated into an industrial park in Santa Cruz; the Beauregard tasting room WAS the Bonny Doon location a few years back. There is actually a tiny one man shop winery in the same industrial area...cannot rememeber the name but I liked his wines.

So, you really DID visit Bonny Doon, in a way! :wink:

I like Santa Cruz Mountains appellation wineries. Mount Eden doesn't really have a tasting room. Thomas Fogarty (above Palo Alto on Skyline Blvd) has some solid and varied wines. And Ridge....I have already raved about the lean but delicious 2011 Montebello!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:23 pm

There are definitely a number of wineries in that area run by people who would be better off making the kits from a store.

The one that really suprised me was Hecker Pass, where I once had a petite sirah at 20 years that was spectacular. One of the best wines I've had. The kids are making the wine now, so it's hard to know if lightning will strike twice, but I have several bottles squirreled away to see. Clearly varietal choice is very important in such a warm area, and petite sirah does well in the heat. The white wines I've had from a number of places in the area have been more or less uniformly terrible. To be fair, the same is true of my area as well.

Ironically, I found Rhys was the one that was overpriced. When your entry-level wines are $45, they'd better be spectacular. Not sure I'm going to keep my spot on the list.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:06 pm

wnissen wrote:There are definitely a number of wineries in that area run by people who would be better off making the kits from a store.

The one that really suprised me was Hecker Pass, where I once had a petite sirah at 20 years that was spectacular. One of the best wines I've had. The kids are making the wine now, so it's hard to know if lightning will strike twice, but I have several bottles squirreled away to see. Clearly varietal choice is very important in such a warm area, and petite sirah does well in the heat. The white wines I've had from a number of places in the area have been more or less uniformly terrible. To be fair, the same is true of my area as well.

Ironically, I found Rhys was the one that was overpriced. When your entry-level wines are $45, they'd better be spectacular. Not sure I'm going to keep my spot on the list.

Walt, guess what. The winery above described as "a winery by another Italian family where the adult granddaughter was pouring eight 2008 vintage wines made by her grandpapa. Four were "a sweeter style" and four were "our full-bodied dry reds." I only tasted the second four, and all were maderized and excessively sweet for 'dry' wine." That was Hecker Pass.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Sounds like fun, Jenise, even with the bad wines!...And Ridge....I have already raved about the lean but delicious 2011 Montebello!

Yes, it was fun being with friends. The evenings with cocktails, wines we'd brought from home and dinners in Morgan Hills restaurants (there are actually a surprising number of very good restaurants in that small downtown) were what made the trip.

"Lean but delicious" describes the Monte Bello very well. It's why I bought the Monte Bello chardonnay untasted--perfect vintage to take a white chance on.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:19 pm

Tom and Mark, thanks for the info on Bonny Doon. On a past trip down the coast I did see a sign for their tasting room and that's why we thought (best we could make out in the fog!) this was where we were going. We weren't actually looking for more wine that day (we were a bit wined out) but once the coastal trip turned into a no-go, why not we thought.

Mirrassou--there's a blast from the past. Haven't seen their name in a long time--are they still a winery? OH, and Tom, San Martin. That clangs bells in my head--when I was a kid growing up in L.A., there was a winery called San-something, I'm pretty sure, that had a few tasting rooms spread out around the greater Los Angeles area where one could buy wine in half gallon jugs. I was too young to know or care where the wine came from, or even taste it, but sometimes we'd stop at one when I went with my pal and her doctor father to do house calls on weekends. (A fond memory--Dr. Mieras rewarded us handsomely for not telling anyone about this extra stop.) Would that be San Martin?
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Jenise wrote:
wnissen wrote:There are definitely a number of wineries in that area run by people who would be better off making the kits from a store.

Walt, guess what. The winery above described as "a winery by another Italian family where the adult granddaughter was pouring eight 2008 vintage wines made by her grandpapa. Four were "a sweeter style" and four were "our full-bodied dry reds." I only tasted the second four, and all were maderized and excessively sweet for 'dry' wine." That was Hecker Pass.

Hah! Well, there you go. I'll be the first to tell you that when my palate gets burned out, I can't detect sub-1% residual sugar, even in reds. Some petite sirahs have a bit to reduce the impact of the tannins, but I have been surprised sometimes to come back to a wine when my palate is fresh and discover the sugar. Hecker Pass has quite a few dogs, as well. I described their "Dry Sherry" as having "the volatility of sherry with none of the attractive nuttiness." The most you can hope for in that area, generally, is not too much VA and a rustic quality to the warm-climate reds.

The first time I visited the south Santa Clara County wineries I literally got my hand rapped when I asked if their sparkling wine was available to taste. Talk about a negative experience.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:41 pm

wnissen wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Hah! Well, there you go. I'll be the first to tell you that when my palate gets burned out, I can't detect sub-1% residual sugar, even in reds. Some petite sirahs have a bit to reduce the impact of the tannins, but I have been surprised sometimes to come back to a wine when my palate is fresh and discover the sugar. Hecker Pass has quite a few dogs, as well. I described their "Dry Sherry" as having "the volatility of sherry with none of the attractive nuttiness." The most you can hope for in that area, generally, is not too much VA and a rustic quality to the warm-climate reds.

The first time I visited the south Santa Clara County wineries I literally got my hand rapped when I asked if their sparkling wine was available to taste. Talk about a negative experience.

And maybe things have changed. Note that everything they poured us was vintage 2008--this wasn't the only winery I suspected of trying to unload their losers to the Passport weekend crowd, figuring that serious winetasters wouldn't be out in abundance. Might not be your palate after all!
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:03 am

I can't help but feel that the Santa Clara Valley is in a time warp, and have never entirely gotten past about 1973. (And mostly, it's still maybe--1957?) :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well....

by TomHill » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:54 am

Jenise wrote:Mirrassou--there's a blast from the past. Haven't seen their name in a long time--are they still a winery? OH, and Tom, San Martin. That clangs bells in my head--when I was a kid growing up in L.A., there was a winery called San-something, I'm pretty sure, that had a few tasting rooms spread out around the greater Los Angeles area where one could buy wine in half gallon jugs. I was too young to know or care where the wine came from, or even taste it, but sometimes we'd stop at one when I went with my pal and her doctor father to do house calls on weekends. (A fond memory--Dr. Mieras rewarded us handsomely for not telling anyone about this extra stop.) Would that be San Martin?

Well, Jenise.....I think Mirrassou still exists as a label....but not as an actual wnry. Owned by Constellation or some such other conglomerate. There is still some involvement w/ some of the Mirrassou family. http://www.mirassou.com/
I met EdmundMirrassou one time back in the early '70's. I remember him well because of this beautiful/old-time
handlebar mustache he sported. I think one of the Mirrassous is owner of StephenKentWnry in Livermore. And I seem to recall there's a Mirrassou in the biz up in Oregon.
The wnry you are thinking of in the LA area w/ a bunch of tasting rooms was SanAntonioWnry. It started out in
Cucamonga I believe. They still exist as a bunch of tasting rooms. http://sanantoniowinery.com/
When I was last in Paso, I remember driving by the old MartinBros/Martin&Wyrich tasting room and seeing
SanAntoniaWnry on the sign. I thought at the time that name sounded sorta familiar.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:49 am

As Tom notes, Mirassou is basically a "Supermarket Wine" label pumped out in large volumes somewhere. :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Well....

by Jenise » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:34 pm

TomHill wrote:
Jenise wrote:Mirrassou--there's a blast from the past. Haven't seen their name in a long time--are they still a winery? OH, and Tom, San Martin. That clangs bells in my head--when I was a kid growing up in L.A., there was a winery called San-something, I'm pretty sure, that had a few tasting rooms spread out around the greater Los Angeles area where one could buy wine in half gallon jugs. I was too young to know or care where the wine came from, or even taste it, but sometimes we'd stop at one when I went with my pal and her doctor father to do house calls on weekends. (A fond memory--Dr. Mieras rewarded us handsomely for not telling anyone about this extra stop.) Would that be San Martin?

Well, Jenise.....I think Mirrassou still exists as a label....but not as an actual wnry. Owned by Constellation or some such other conglomerate. There is still some involvement w/ some of the Mirrassou family. http://www.mirassou.com/
I met EdmundMirrassou one time back in the early '70's. I remember him well because of this beautiful/old-time
handlebar mustache he sported. I think one of the Mirrassous is owner of StephenKentWnry in Livermore. And I seem to recall there's a Mirrassou in the biz up in Oregon.
The wnry you are thinking of in the LA area w/ a bunch of tasting rooms was SanAntonioWnry. It started out in
Cucamonga I believe. They still exist as a bunch of tasting rooms. http://sanantoniowinery.com/
When I was last in Paso, I remember driving by the old MartinBros/Martin&Wyrich tasting room and seeing
SanAntoniaWnry on the sign. I thought at the time that name sounded sorta familiar.
Tom

Thanks! San Antonio is the one.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Mirassou is owned by Gallo
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...