The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Thanksgiving Weekend Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Thanksgiving Weekend Wines

by Jenise » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:49 am

2013 Rôtie Cellars Marsanne 'Northern White' Horse Heaven Hills
My bottle, opened with lunch at home before leaving for Seattle. Pale straw color, lemon and pear, flowers and slate, no apparent oak. Crisp yet elegant; an exceptional Washington white.

NV Ariston Aspasie Champagne Brut
Opened at the hotel pre-dinner at Miller's Guild. Very pretty, well delineated bubbly. Apparently a great value at K&L; must look into.

2008 Franck Bonville Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Grand Cru
Brunch at Roux. Initially reticent, but it opened up beautifully on the table. Paler, more classic, elegant and green apple-y than the Geoffrey and my fave of the two.

NV René Geoffroy Champagne Volupté Brut Premier

My bottle; opened at Roux. Generously endowed with fruit and biscuity flavors and showing some age, yet oddly tart toward the finish in a way that would have been more bothersome had we not been having such a fattening breakfast. Good brunch wine!

2009 Simonnet-Febvre Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons
Ordered off the menu at Miller's Guild. Wet rocks, smoke, nicely understated for the vintage--not as ripe as many 09's have been.

Sparkling NV Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Vino Spumante di Qualita Brut Toscana
Lots of personality. Vitamin-mineral, raw corn and ranier cherry top notes add a lot of personality to the lemon and apple underneath. Tiny, persistent bubbles, long finish. An absolute delight and killer buy for $25, Pike & Western.

2013 Orsolani Erbaluce di Caluso La Rustiamore
Ordered off the menu at Vespolina for $45. New grape to me: erbaluce. Mineral, lemon and apple, no oak, fresh and crisp like new laundry. Nice!

1995 Parusso Barolo Mariondino Nebbiolo
Took to Vespolina; my bottle. Earthy, tarry; pretty much as expected. Grippy tannins clip the finish a bit; if I had another bottle, which I don't, I'd hold five more years.

2008 Luigi Baudana Barolo Nebbiolo

Purchased earlier at Pike & Western, opened at Vespolina. Decanted an hour or so before dinner. Very pretty nose, floral and spicy, drank quite well for such a youngster. I should buy some.

2008 Clos Pepe Estate Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills

At Miller's Guild. Great bottle; showed the classicism of the vintage and Wes' understated style very well.

2002 Cayuse Camaspelo Walla Walla Valley Cabernet Sauv blend

At Miller's Guild; my bottle. Tobacco, kirsch and blackberry pie. More overtly ripe and roasted than my previous bottle.

2013 Bedrock Wine Co. Mourvedre Ode to Lulu Old Vine Rosé
Opened at Le Pichet, served blind. Seemed Bandolish but not Tempier complexity (I note it also fooled our waitress). Lovely young rose, and better, more complex than the bottle I opened in July.

2003 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau
Opened at Le Pichet. Tannins a bit parchy but overall a good bottle and not Californicated as was the case with so many other 03's.

1999 Domaine de la Charbonnière Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Vieilles
Opened at Le Pichet. Classic mature CdP. Soft spicy red fruits, citrus peel and Morroccan leather. Best red of the weekend.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov