The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2014 Catch Up Part 3. Spain and Portugal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: 2014 Catch Up Part 3. Spain and Portugal

by Ryan M » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:18 am

Quinta de Noval, Vintage Port, Porto 2007
Firm but lush and attractive notes of blackberry and blueberry with dried dates, bright citrus notes (tangerine), a hint of flowers, chocolate, and smoke. Quite spirity, almost malty. Big and yet elegant, already approachable but not at all lacking in serious structure. This is extraordinary, with the potential to be gorgeous. Drink over the next 20 – 30 years. 4.5 Stars [5/8/14]

Numanthia, Termes, Toro 2010
Outstanding nose! On both the nose and palate, dried black cherry, meaty black currant, a touch of juicy blackberry, leather, chocolate, and dusty, somewhat grippy tannin. Dense and rich and lush, but big and structured, with great aromatic personality. Great stuff, I love it! 5 – 10 years ahead. 4 Stars [6/24/14]

Taylor-Fladgate, Late Bottled Vintage, Porto 2003
Dark but not quite opaque ruby. Excellent nose, subtle but dense, with sweet cherry, dark berries, aromatic citrus rind, tar/chocolate, and firm raisen notes. On the palate, meaty black cherry and currant, blueberry, citrus, coffee, prunes, and mineral. Wonderful texture, lush and sweet yet dense and succulent. Drink now. 3.5 Stars [4/17/14]

Marques de Caceres, Blanco, Rioja 2012
Light, Excellent, rich, somewhat deep nose of musk melon, orange, pome and stone fruits, petrol, sweet green notes, a bit of beeswax, and mineral, all with smokey overtones. Similar notes on the palate with some raspberry/blood orange overtones, and with a wonderfully rich, slightly fat texture, kept fresh by orangey acidity and a slight grassiness; full bodied. An outstanding value for under $10, and one of the most versatile food wines I’ve encountered. Drink now. 3 Stars [9/5/14]

Celler el Masroig, Sola Fred, Mont Sant 2008
Excellent, deep, somewhat heady nose of black fruit, a hint of tar, mineral, and earth, with a touch of cocoa powder. On the palate, tart blackberry jam upfront, followed by fresh raspberry, a touch of meaty currant and juicy plum, a bit of citrus, perhaps just a hint of tobacco leaf, a hint of licorice, with earth, a hint of chocolate, and mineral toward a finish laden with lingering tannin. Full bodied and rich upfront, then somewhat more precise and lean, all with a deep and penetrating yet fresh and juicy character. An excellent wine of great character. Should drink well for at least another 3 years. 3 Stars. 90% Carignan, 10% Grenache [9/12/14]

Rioja Vega, Rioja 2009
Very good nose: dark fruit, a hint of tobacco, hickory, camphor, fire ember, cured leather, and mineral, all with mature notes. On the palate, cherry, black raspberry, currant, pomegranite/plum, mature raisen notes, leather, smoke, and earthy mineral. Medium-full bodied, succulent, and a bit sanguine. This is a really nice, highly traditional Rioja. Maturity is setting in, but can go another 3 – 5 years depending on your preferences. 2.5 Stars [8/17/14]

Alvarez de Toledo, Godello, Bierzo 2010
Sparkly golden yellow with hints of green. On the nose, lots of very nice floral perfume, with fresh orchard fruit, mineral, and spice. On the palate, fresh pear, citrus/pineapple, plum, apricot, and flower nectar, with lots of mineral and spice, and bitter almond as well. Full bodied, penetrating, and fleshy, with fruit skin-like tartness. Delightful and unique. 3 more years. 2.5 Stars. [11/1/14]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2014 Catch Up Part 3. Spain and Portugal

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:47 am

I am always very envious when I hear about Godello as i do not have access to any up here.Thanks!

I should add that I am a firm believer in Taylor Fladgate LBV, have a few here especially the `05.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:I am always very envious when I hear about Godello as i do not have access to any up here.Thanks!

I should add that I am a firm believer in Taylor Fladgate LBV, have a few here especially the `05.

Funny thing Bob, I don't run across Godello very often either, and this one I found under the most unlikely circumstances: a liquor store in my hometown of only 11,000 people bought the close-out stock of liquor store that went out of business in Kansas City. My step-dad and I have quite a few absolutely absurd bargains from that stash. They clearly had a number of things that neither they nor there customer base knew anything about, so the Godello had just languished in the back room, and when I saw it, naturally I grabbed it.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:28 pm

Godello's delicious, isn't it? I bought some from a local importer who was privately selling off extra stuff for like $6-7, and initially wasn't impressed--wine seemed rather plain, or downright wan compared to expectations. I left it alone thinking I'd just use it up in cooking, and one day opened a bottle to find the godello I'd been hearing about--full bodied, peach-pineapple fruit, great structure. And every bottle just got better.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:25 pm

From Archives.

Well, I finally found a Godello up here..a 2013 Encanto Bierzo Vinos de Arganza so am set for an experience..I hope :D .