The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Covelo & DosRios AVA's???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Covelo & DosRios AVA's???

by TomHill » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:32 pm

Ran across these two obscure AVA's in my new Calif wine book. Up in the Northern reaches of MendoCnty. Covelo has 2 acres and DosRios 6 acres under cultivation. For some unknown reason, the Times of India newspaper has some interest in the Covelo AVA.
Anybody ever had any wines from these two AVA's or know anything about any of the growers or where the grapes wind yup. Surely, but Shirley, EricAnderson and KenZinns have done a grand tour of these vnyds!!!
One RalphCarter did the petitions for these two AVA's. Never heard of the guy. But, then, I'm sure Ralph's never heard of TomHill, either...so we're even.
Tom
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: Covelo & DosRios AVA's???

by Victorwine » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:21 pm

I always figured that petitioning for an area to be an AVA (American Viticultural Area), the area had to be a “proven” wine-growing region that is distinguishable and recognized by geographical features. The TTB clearly states that establishing an AVA is not an endorsement of the quality level of the wine produced in a given area. Maybe the petitioned area could be thought of as a “potential” wine-growing region (the next “Napa Valley” of California)?

Some might find the following article interesting from Appellation America written by Mark DeWolf.

http://wine.appellationamerica.com/wine ... arter.html

Another interesting link

http://www.winecountrythisweek.com/site ... 0Coast.pdf

Salute
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: Covelo & DosRios AVA's???

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:35 pm

I'd be inclined to plant herbs in those neighborhoods, but it's probably not so different there from the Alder Springs situation, minus any coastal influence.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...