The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Burgundies ('99 Chevillon, '05 Drouhin)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Two Burgundies ('99 Chevillon, '05 Drouhin)

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:10 am

1999 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Vaucrains - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (1/2/2015)
Served along with the 2005 Drouhin Chambolle Musigny below, this was still the "younger" wine. Three hours of air just started to make this open up, and it only began to show its cards at the 4+ hour mark. There is still plenty of dark red fruit, and balancing tannins. Where this wine shines is in terms of overall depth. It's not subtle or pretty. It's brooding and statuesque. I thought 15 years would be a good time to check in, but I won't be opening another until at least 2020.

2005 Joseph Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (1/2/2015)
I gave this about two hours of air from pulling the cork until dinner. That was almost but not quite enough. About an hour into the meal it began to shine. The fruit is red, fresh and very elegant, there is some development, and the finish is a lovely blend of fruit, minerality and a subtle note of clean earth. I am inclined to give my other bottles 2-3 more years of age, but I do not regret opening this at all.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Two Burgundies ('99 Chevillon, '05 Drouhin)

by JC (NC) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Two wines I would like to own. I do have the 2005 Joseph Drouhin Vosne-Romanee. Any guesses as to when it will be ready to open?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:47 pm

I would suspect that another 2-3 years would do well for that one, just as more time will benefit the Chambolle.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:06 pm

thanks for notes.
I probably should think of checking up on my 99 Chevillons, I have none of the big 3, but some Roncieres, Chaignots, etc.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:09 pm

I would bet that the "smaller" wines would be getting close to ready. I know the 2002 NSG Villages is showing well.