The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Erzetic Amfora Rdece '08...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Erzetic Amfora Rdece '08...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:04 pm

We tasted last night at BBB a selection of...sigh..Merlot & blends. I took:
1. Aleksu Erzetic Amfora Rdece ZGP: Kakovostno GoriskaBrda (50% CS/Merlot; 13.5%; www.OldWorldVines.com)
Dobrovo v. Brdih/Slovenia 2008
: Med.dark color; strong plummy/blackcurranty/licorice quite grapey slight bacon fat light earthy slight vanilla/oak rather attractive/interesting nose; soft/lush ripe/chocolaty/plummy/blackcurranty bit meaty/earthy/dusty/coarse/spicy flavor w/ soft/ripe tannins; long soft/lush/ripe strong plummy/chocolaty/blackcurranty some earthy/dusty/loamy/spicy slight oak finish w/ soft/round/ripe tannins; reminds me more of a WashState Merlot than anything; interesting wine but just that. $36.00 (DiV)
1. Never heard of this producer before but bought it a yr ago because of the strangely-shaped btl and the amphorae aging. This Cab/Merlot blend is given 15 mo. in Fr.oak, then an additional yr maturing in Georgian amphora buried in the ground, closed by a wooden lid and sealed. Thus, the wine is not made in an oxidative style.
Details are at:
Erzetic
Despite the association w/ ancient Georgian amphora, the wines are very modern/international in style. I was expecting a bit more exotic/odd kind of wine, but it was thoroughly mainstream. Would be much more interested in trying his whites, particularly the skin-contact Ribolla.
Tom