The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Happy Holidays!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Happy Holidays!

by Victorwine » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:52 pm

We had our annual holiday get together last Saturday night, and as usual great wines, food and company dominated the occasion, and our hosts did a great job.
At our annual “Yankee swipe grab bag”, I was fortunate it enough to have drawn one of the last numbers. In an event like this picking number 1 and the last number has its advantage, for you get to choose an unopened gift from the pile, or swipe for a gift previously opened. At the very end however number 1 can swipe for any gift opened. As you can imagine things could get very competitive and cut-throat. :twisted:
I was fortunate to come away from the ordeal with a wonderful cork-screw set. It came in an attractive tube shaped leather case, it includes a cork-screw, foil cutter, and drip guard ring. Being a machinist and mechanically inclined, and very interested in how even the simplest mechanical devices work, this cork-screw impressed me. Upon first opening the case, I thought it was one of those winged type cork-screws, but this cork screw only had one lever. After further investigation, I realized it was a ratchet type lever, ah this made much more sense, and basically it operates just like one of those older car jacks.
We also had a lot of fun with the annual holiday wine trivia quiz.
(1) The ancestor of Zinfandel is _________________________.

(2) In the classic movie Moonstruck, la familia toasts Loretta’s upcoming nuptials with a glass of champagne with a ____________ dropped into it.

(3) Where was the wild grapevines most likely domesticated? (A) Greece (B) Fiji (C) Caucasus Mountains

(4) True or false; there is at least one winery in every state in the Union.

(5) True or false, the Roman Centurions are initially responsible for spreading vinifera grapes throughout the ancient world.

(6) And (7) the 2 by products of fermentation are __________ and ___________.

(8) True or false when Canadian wineries want to harvest their frozen grapes for ice wine, the government sends out the ice wine police to assure their practices.

(9) The white wines from the Sancerre appellation in the Loire Valley are made from what grape? _____________________

(10) True or false, the most widely grown grape on Long Island is chardonnay.

(11) The most widely grown grape in Germany’s Rheinhessen and Pfalz regions, this cross of Riesling and Sylvaner was created in 1916 by botanist George Scheu; ___________________.

(12) The Ugni Blanc grape which is used to make Cognac in France is, under another name, one of the most important white grapes of Italy. What is its Italian name? _______________________.

(13) What is the name of the large lengthy barrel with tapered ends that is used extensively for aging and shipping Port, Marsala and Madeira? (A) Barrique (B) Pipe (C) Piece

(14) Glogg is the popular Swedish spiced-wine punch that gets its punch from the addition of brandy or __________________.

(15) Name the insect responsible for the spread of Pierce’s Disease throughout California’s vineyards __________ - _________ _____________ (configurations of the blanks are a clue).

Everyone have a Safe and Happy Holiday!

Salute
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Happy Holidays!

by Howie Hart » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:47 pm

Happy Holidays Victor!
I think I got 9 right. :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Happy Holidays!

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:32 pm

Victorwine wrote:Everyone have a Safe and Happy Holiday!

A cool Yule to you and yours, Victor! Thanks for the quiz ... I think I got most of 'em right, and would love to see the official answer list eventually ...