The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 1998 Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:24 am

1998 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (1/22/2015)
A very good friend opened this for me to celebrate my birthday. It's so young, but wildly delicious. The smokiness on the nose nearly overwhelms everything else for the first half hour, then all the meatiness and earthiness comes in, fleshing out the aromatics. The acid backbone makes the wine feel much lighter than it actually is, but the depth of flavor is there, and the persistence is undeniable. The wine just goes on and on and on and on. Great experience.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN: 1998 Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage

by John S » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:10 pm

That would definitely put some happy in my birthday! Hope you had a great day.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Me, too, John! Chaves are really special, I love the thing the French call 'animale' that nearly every Chave I've ever had has. Not quite funk or "ass in a glass" as some of my friends call it, something more refined and yet attractive to me on a purely, blush blush, almost primal level of attraction. Btw, the 2009 Reynvaan 'The Contender' I opened on Thursday night had that in spades. I swooned throughout.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:29 pm

New world Syrah is starting to become more than just fruit juice. Sadly it's only folks like us who appreciate the better examples.
Decisions are made by those who show up