The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

pickle juice?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lizbeth S

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Philadelphia, PA

pickle juice?

by Lizbeth S » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:49 pm

My sister and I visited a local winery in Berks County, PA this afternoon. While some of the whites were pretty good, almost all of the reds had a weird taste of brine. Yes, brine as is pickle juice! Does anyone know what would cause this? I tasted it in the 2005 Cabernet Franc, the 2004 Merlot, and the 2005 Pinot Noir. Thanks in advance!! :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: pickle juice?

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:51 pm

Lizbeth wrote:My sister and I visited a local winery in Berks County, PA this afternoon. While some of the whites were pretty good, almost all of the reds had a weird taste of brine. Yes, brine as is pickle juice! Does anyone know what would cause this? I tasted it in the 2005 Cabernet Franc, the 2004 Merlot, and the 2005 Pinot Noir. Thanks in advance!! :D

Lizbeth, "pickle juice" in red wine is most often the result of a combination of American oak character (dill, specifically) and the wine's natural acidity. Some very pricey wines, including Penfolds Bin 777 Cabernet Sauvignon and Silver Oak Cabernet from California, are notorious for it.
no avatar
User

Mishy M.

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:38 pm

by Mishy M. » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:39 am

I'm just guessing....
Volatile acidity coupled with under-ripe grapes in a poor cool climate and vintage(s)?
no avatar
User

Lizbeth S

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Lizbeth S » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:54 pm

I know this vineyard in particular had to bring the grapes in early because of the weather, so underripeness could be one of the causes.

The pickle juice taste wasn't like the Penfolds cab--it was really overwhelming and basically blocked out all other fruit or oak tastes.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:58 pm

Underripe grapes yield wine with all sorts of vegetable flavors--bell peppers, stewed green beans, and cabbge. Add in American oak aging and you get pickles.

-Paul W.