The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Any recommendations for a Wine of the Month Club??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jackson S

Rank

Just got here

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:57 pm

Coeur d' Alene

Any recommendations for a Wine of the Month Club??

by Jackson S » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:21 pm

In order to conveniently delve deeper into wine (I'm still relatively a beginner), I've been thinking about subscribing to a Wine of the Month Club. It seems as if it is relatively cheap and will save me the time I otherwise would have to commit to visit different wineries around Idaho/Washington (definitely still will of course!).

Do you guys have any opinions on this club from what you can see on their website or your experiences?

http://www.greatclubs.com/wine-of-the-month-club/

It seems more "mainstream" if that's a thing for online club retailers. Let me know any other suggestions!

Thanks!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Any recommendations for a Wine of the Month Club??

by Carl Eppig » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:43 pm

There are number of options, but I don't belong to one, so won't recommend any. What I do recommend is to contact a winery that has a good selection and that you enjoy the products of; and contact them about a monthly or quarterly shipment that you can have some control over.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:24 pm

I've never been a fan of wine of the month clubs, although I have no experience with them, as I just hate the idea of having random bottles forced on me. The role of wine clubs is to maximize profit, not provide great wine to people! I think the best thing for those just getting into wine is to go to as many tastings as they possibly can. Some retail stores have regular tastings, for example. If you are in a big city, maybe there are public tastings available for certain regions/countries (e.g., California Wine Fair). Another idea is to join a group of people who have regular tastings (e.g., once a month). Spend a weekend wine tasting in a nearby wine region - Walla Walla is a great place to visit in Washington. It won't cost more than a year's worth of a wine club, I would imagine, and you'll be able to taste far more wines and learn more about the producers. Go to as many tastings as you can!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Most wine of the month clubs are short on good quality wine.

Do you have a good local wine shop? Budget for an interesting selection of 3 wines per month from them. Can wine shops or wineries ship to you? Same idea. A good shop can work with you on an exploration of regions or grapes. Failing that we can help you decide on a selection.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:46 pm

With the clear disclosure that I do have a dog in this hunt, The California Wine Club has been an advertising partner of WineLoversPage.com since the late 1990s. They're good people, with a reliable portfolio, and the ability to deliver legally to consumers in (almost?) every state. Their focus is on wines made by small, "mom 'n' pop" wineries that aren't easy to find away from California. They have several clubs at various price levels, including one club that features International wines monthly.

They offer a "satisfaction guaranteed" plan, and the opportunity to "restock" half or full cases of each month's wines, and significant sales on older offerings.

As I said, we've worked with them for more than 15 years, never had a substantive complaint, and find them honest, ethical and decent people. If you really want a wine-to-your-door club that offers a variety of interesting wines of value, I don't see how you could do much better.

Click the link for info on contacting them by Internet or toll-free phone:
https://www.cawineclub.com/about-our-club
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:07 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Most wine of the month clubs are short on good quality wine.

Do you have a good local wine shop? Budget for an interesting selection of 3 wines per month from them. Can wine shops or wineries ship to you? Same idea. A good shop can work with you on an exploration of regions or grapes. Failing that we can help you decide on a selection.

Yup, that is the way I would go if in your shoes. One store here in Edmonton has a great cellar builder program which one could use later on when one has gathered more wine knowledge. Meanwhile use your local wine shop, they will very likely help you with some great suggestions.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:19 am

Why let someone else choose your wines?

Lot of the pleasure of wine is thinking about what to have, reading lists or asking shop staff choosing and buying it.

On the page you link to they list 4 'Recent Selections'

Esterhazy Estorias Gruner Veltliner Weinviertel, Austria 2011
Mar De Palha Tinto Lisboa, Portugal 2009
Lariviera-Yturbe Malbec Lujan de Cuyo, Argentina 2011
Velentini Pietrachiara Vermentino Toscana, Italy 2011

The two reds retail at $14 and $10.99 respectively, so you could get the two for $25. rather than pay them £43
Also the two whites are older than I'd like
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:17 pm

Jackson, while I agree with everyone else that most WOTM clubs are over-priced and under-nourished, I am aware that Compass Wines in Anacortes--one of the best retailers in the state--has several levels of monthly, or maybe it's quarterly, wine subscription services (better name than club, yes?) focussed on Pacific Northwest product, primarily Washington if not in fact all-Washington. The owner, Doug Charles, has terrific connections and a terrific palate, and he's motivated by the prospect of re-orders from his local and statewide customer base so his selections would be wines worth knowing about. (As compared to, say, the Wall St. Journal WOTM club that a friend of mine sadly belongs to which appears to be a dumping ground for close-outs and bottled bulk juice from nonexistent 'wineries'.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov