The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Big mess in the cellar today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Big mess in the cellar today

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Tom NJ wrote:n a bit of odd coincidence, I think I posted here a while back about how heartbroken I was that my '71 Scharzhofberger BA turned to vinegar when I opened it. It was the only '71 German I had in my cellar, and I really wanted to try it.

Maybe the 1971 vintage has a curse on it. The last bottle of 1971 BA that I opened was fine when I first opened it. I used my nitrogen dispenser as usual, but the next day the wine had gone all fizzy. That's the first time I've ever seen that happen.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Big mess in the cellar today

by Jenise » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:59 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
Tom NJ wrote:n a bit of odd coincidence, I think I posted here a while back about how heartbroken I was that my '71 Scharzhofberger BA turned to vinegar when I opened it. It was the only '71 German I had in my cellar, and I really wanted to try it.

Maybe the 1971 vintage has a curse on it. The last bottle of 1971 BA that I opened was fine when I first opened it. I used my nitrogen dispenser as usual, but the next day the wine had gone all fizzy. That's the first time I've ever seen that happen.

-Paul W.

Btw, we tasted the third left in our bottle yesterday--it could have used more acidity, but was otherwise sounder than expected. We still fed it to the azaleas, but hey--no vinegar.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous