The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How important is the glas when you have a wine tasting?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: How important is the glas when you have a wine tasting?

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:00 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Peter,
What does ISO mean? Pardon the newbie question.

ISO = International Standards Organization. It's the international body that maintains standards on everything from fundamental measurements (e.g., the metre, litre, Celsius temperature scale) to computer programming languages.

The ISO tasting glass is also known as the INAO tasting glass. INAO is the Institute Nacionale des Appellations d'Origin, the French government body that administers and enforces the wine appellation system. I think they originally drew up the specifications for the tasting glass and later it was adopted as an international standard.

The glass is tulip-shaped, narrower at the top than at the bottom. It's pretty rugged, and the ones that I have are dishwasher-safe.

It was specifically designed to highlight wine flaws. For applications other than wnie tastings, where enjoyment of the wine rather than its analysis is the priority, other glasses that are more forgiving and more decorative might be more appropriate.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:21 pm

Paul (thanks) has already replied, so let me show you a picture of one Image

You can get the ISO glass in larger sizes, and indeed I have got one kept from a tasting at Firestone in the US.

The standard sized small one is good only for tastings, but the larger ones make a good drinking glass - see http://www.barrelsandbottles.co.uk/acat ... asses.html
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:25 pm

Peter and Paul,
I love this place! Where else can you go to get an intelligent answer plus pictures! We really don't thank Robin and his little elves enough for providing this service. Thanks for the info. I will go get some ISO glasses this week.
Cheers!
James
Previous