The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Round One of the Christmas Gluttony -- Six Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

WTN: Round One of the Christmas Gluttony -- Six Wines

by Randy Buckner » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:51 pm

We had seven middle-of-the-road wine geek friends for Christmas Eve Eve dinner last night, with six tonight and five tomorrow night.

We toasted with Lenoble Rose Millesime. The blend is 85% Chardonnay Grand Cru and 15% Pinot Noir Premier Cru vinified as a red wine. Very light on the sweet side, the salmon-pink wine is full and round, with a lively mousse. Fresh red fruit dominates. I bought a case and am pleased now at the purchase. Everyone enjoyed the wine -- no descents.

We enjoyed a host of appetizers with a 2001 Scharzhofberger M-S-R Spatlese. This is a lovely Riesling, correctly made, but somehow doesn't grab your interest and hold it. It cut through the French goose liver pate well though. I bought six and am glad it was not a case.

Next came a delicious broccoli soup which was accompanied by another German Riesling which did grab your attention and shake your senses -- the 2001 Tyrell Eitelsbacher Karthauserhofberg Riesling Spatlese. Loaded with delightful fruit and slate/petrol notes, this was the hands down favorite of the two Rieslings. It is a stunning Spatlese. Bought a case; wish I'd bought three.

Next came the main course -- dry-aged prime rib. Unfortunately everyone wanted medium or medium well (YIKES!), so I got the rarest piece of the rib roast I could find, which was leaning towards medium. I served two reds with the meat, and the results were not what I expected. The first wine was the 1995 Château Lynch-Bages, Pauillac. Seeming fully mature, the tannins were very soft on the entry. Black currants, berries and cedary notes prevailed. It went very well with the meal. The second wine was from the same vintage but from the New World -- 1995 Quilceda Creek, Washington. Fully mature right now, the wine has developed better than expected. The oak is integrated and the flavors are just delightful. Hands down this was the favorite of the crowd. I would have taken bets on the favorite of the two wines and lost -- a pleasant surprise.

Carole served her yule log for dessert, which was accompanied by a 1992 Baumard Quarts de Chaume. Always a delight, the sweetness and acidity lends itself well to almost any dessert. It is still drinking very well, with lovely complexity.

Overall, lovely food, wine and friends -- you can't ask for much more.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Round One of the Christmas Gluttony -- Six Wines

by Jenise » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:45 pm

You say the QC got the crowd vote, did it get yours too?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:48 pm

:oops: It did. :oops: What can I say?
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:58 pm

I have not had a QC older than 2000...and that one still had too much sweet oak for my palate... was this more integrated???
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:07 pm

Jim, I had the same reservations before opening the bottle. It fooled me. The oak was well integrated. I unloaded a lot of QC from '97 on because of all of the new oak....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:56 pm

Well, I'm happy to read these results on the 95. I just this second remembered that I have two bottles of it. Hmmm...maybe that's what I'll take to go with prime rib today instead of the Georges La Tour I was planning on.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:15 pm

The Baumard QdCs are oaky beginning in 1997? Sorry to hear that. But I was impressed with the 2001s and bought something like a case and don't recall the oak, which turns me off in dessert wines. Damn shame how much wood is sneaking into the Loire, not just in the stickies.

The only really old B CdCs I've drunk -- 20-something years old I think -- were a couple that Vinny Lee opened one year during the after-hours part of the Manning's annual party, and these were absolutely lovely, and by that stage of the game so perceptively dry I would no longer call them dessert wines.

I've been trying to keep my hands off a 1996 B QdC, waiting for it to dry itself out of the desert mode. Anybody know how that is drinking now? It's still in its sweetie stage, I'm sure.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:24 pm

The Baumard QdCs are oaky beginning in 1997?

QC = Quilceda Creek. Sorry for the confusion.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:41 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:
The Baumard QdCs are oaky beginning in 1997?

QC = Quilceda Creek. Sorry for the confusion.

These senior moments are getting embarassing. Now that I take a peek in my cellar I see my case of Baumard QdC is 2002, not 2001.