The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Easter wines- Burgs, Rieslings, US, more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Easter wines- Burgs, Rieslings, US, more

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:18 pm

Betsy’s sister held her annual huge open house Easter party. We carried over a maple/mustard ham and some wine. Nice assortment of food- salmon, pulled pork, chicken, numerous salads, deviled eggs, and more. Many wines were sampled (out of Solo cups)

Reds
2011 Jadot “ Aux Vergelesses” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
Fresh acids, young, some firm tannins, this has nice cherry fruit and earth. B/B+

1997 Jadot “Clos des Couchereaux” Beaune 1er (mag)
resolved tannin, black cherry fruit, a light hint of barnyard. Nice midbodied Burg, and despite being mag fastest wine emptied. B+

2012 Harmas Cotes du Rhone
New producer to me, old style, redder fruit (I assume mostly Grenache), no apparent oak, not bad. B/B-

2013 Agua Ribay Malbec
Generic Malbec, fleshy fruit, coarse tannins. B/C+

2013 Vicolo Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (mag)
Light, short, cherries, striving for inoffensive. C

2012 Bogle Essential Red
Wow, this was a pour out. Apparent RS, short, a little chemical burn. C-

Whites
2012 Rollin Bourgogne Aligote
This not Aligote trying to pretend to be Chardonnay. Very citrusy, with bright lemon acids over a chalky mineral base. Very good. B+

2008 von Hovel Scharzhofberger Kabinett.
Moderate sweetness, lime and apple, decent finish. Some tartrate crystals. Good for cheap Riesling. B

2012 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier
Midbodied, good acids, simple but tasty. B

2013 Bogle Sauvignon Blanc
Better than the vile Essential Red. Touch of sweetness, a little grass and gooseberry, not very long. B-/C+

2012 Sacha Lichine Rose
unsurprisingly tired, light bodied, short C/C+

There was also a vinho verde and another MdA that I sampled but didn’t take a real pour of, and didn’t note. But fun time.

Afterwards we headed home, and eventually had a simple late supper of shrimp and arugula over pasta. Too lazy to head to cellar for an Italian white, but not bad match with the 2013 Emrich-Schonleber “Mineral” Riesling Trocken. Dry and firm, citrus (lime and grapefruit), a slatey mineral edge to finish. Nice length. B+/A-

Monday I made napoleons of grilled eggplant, tomato, basil and feta, plus grilled leeks and a slightly spicy ground cauliflower/black bean dish. Wine was the 2009 Hiedler “Maximum” Gruner Veltliner. Lots of extract, body. 14% which you can sense, though it doesn’t come across as hot. Ripe stone fruits, a little pea. I think I’d like this a little more if it was a bit leaner. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.