The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A perfect Madeira 1875 for Christmas lunch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

A perfect Madeira 1875 for Christmas lunch

by François Audouze » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:39 pm

For the lunch of December 25th, we had some Pata Negra ham with a champagne that I had taken in the cellar because I had noticed a very low level. Of course, I had a solution in case of a bad taste, but I did not need to use it. The champagne Laurent Perrier Cuvée Grand Siècle has a minimum of 30 years. The capsule is greasy and black, very dirty, the little knot broke, which obliged me to use a tool to tear off the steel “muselet”, and the cork broke, letting the lower part in its place. I took it off, and curiously there was no bizarre smell. I let it stand for one hour before service, and to my surprise, this champagne which had lost one fourth of its volume did not need to be replaced. It had lost its bubble, but the taste was fruity and charming.

We went to the table, and we had simply fried foie gras. I have given my children the habit to accept maderised whites on foie gras, as it works well, when one admits that a maderised wine has its personal life. Of course I had also a replacement wine, but we did not need it. We drank a Puligny-Montrachet Philippe Meunier 1949, whose colour is pure amber. And the wine opened for four hours worked very well. Of course, I would never say that this wine is a champion, but it went well.

After two wounded wines taken in cellar to not prolong an agony, now come the “normal” wines. On a chicken of Bresse with a composition made with foie gras, we had a vin de l’Etoile Philippe Vandelle 1967 which is for me something special. I fell in love with the vin de l’Etoile Jura wines, which are so strange and so unusual that I love them. And this one has a length which is incredible. I love the precision, the definition of this wine, which has in the middle of the mouth a discrete taste of candied fruit. The combination was great.

As my daughter in law is not a fan of such wines, I had opened in due time a Chateau Léoville-Poyferré 1955. Wonderful colour, very charming smell, this wine is comfortable. It has not a great power, but it has a lot of charm. Very adapted too, and we finished it on cheese.

Now, comes the star of Christmas, and probably one of my best wines of the year or of my life. This is a Madeira on which is written “Madère mis en bouteille en 1875”. I have this bottle for more than 25 years. It is a wine which is the complete justification that age increases the quality of a wine. I have never drunk a Madeira of this quality. It comes with that tarte Tatin (apple tart), and it goes well, but it can live alone. Extremely alcoholic, it has a taste of coffee, of tropical wood, and a slight taste of cherry fruit and of pineapple. What strikes me is the integration of every component, the smoothness, the pure logic of the construction and the total sensuality.

To give a note of 100 points would be to insult this wine as it is so much above any other taste. I have a special love for the Cyprus wines of 1845. This one is probably less precise, but largely more sensual.

All of us we were in a complete emotion. To think that the cork came from a tree which was planted before 1800 is emotional. When I opened the wine, my son told me : “instead of smelling the cork, as you do usually, you should smell the bottle, to get air which comes from 1875”. And I did it. Emotional.

If we imagine that the wine, made probably around 1840, was made in a period without electricity, without car, in a time when the global population of Earth was half of the population of India today, we were feeling it as unreal. All of us, we lived it with pure emotion.

Tonight, I could not prevent from finishing the bottle, alone, with a small piece remaining of the hind’s filet. A pure delight, and a way to finish all the meals of Christmas with the best possible way.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: A perfect Madeira 1875 for Christmas lunch

by Paul Winalski » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:54 pm

Old, mature Madeira can indeed be a great delight, and practically immortal. Did this wine have any varietal designation such as bual/boal or malvasia?

Thank you for posting this tasting note. You reminded me to dig out a bottle of vintage Madiera for after dinner tonight.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:55 pm

Francois, every time I see your name attached to a note here, I can not help but to go directly to your post. I will never have an opportunity to personally taste the wines you routinely drink, but I can taste them vicariously through your reports. I thank you for them, and hope to read many many more of them. I know you had a great Christmas day, so here is wishing you a happy, healthful, and prosperous 2007.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

SFJoe

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:54 pm

by SFJoe » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:33 pm

Francois,

Thanks again for the notes.

I'm not sure what to guess for a vintage of your wine, but to consider only the date metioned, I don't think I've ever had a better Madeira than 1875 Cossart's Bastardo. My friend the mad Madeira man Paul Day brought some to NY for my friend .sasha's birthday (I brought Le Haut Lieu 1919, which wasn't bad either). It was much longer and more savory than many older 19C bottles I've tried.

But we decanted it a couple of days ahead of drinking, which is my universal practice for old Madeira. More importantly, it is also Paul's practice, and he opens many more bottles of 19C and 18C Madeira than I do. The funky, furry smells harmonize a good bit. And of course the unconsumed wine is good for weeks if not months.

Le Haut Lieu 1919 was remarkably fresh. Recorked at the chateau, as is their practice with their library, and probably topped with wine of the same vintage.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:28 pm

SFJoe, I'm surprised to read about decanting, especially DAYS ahead. I have a few old Madeiras around--if I can force myself to plan ahead, I should try this. Though I can guarantee you I'd nibble away at it the whole time and my chaperonage could be deemed unwise in hindsight by the time the wine gets to the table.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov