The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Advice on selecting wines to start a small cellar - newbie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Aamer Sachedina

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:20 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Advice on selecting wines to start a small cellar - newbie

by Aamer Sachedina » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Jenise wrote:Aamer, nice list. Btw, just FYI, I tasted a 97 Torres Corona Gran Reserve a year ago that was drinking splendidly but had plenty of years left of it. A 99 I opened two months ago wasn't quite ready yet--I left it on the counter for three days to open it up to a good drinking stage. And I just purchased some 78's at auction--performance you can expect from a good year.

Great to hear. I have to say that the toughest part of this is trying to figure out what I ought to drink by when - what will be at its peak by when. I'm assuming then that my 2002 GR will be just fine until 2013 or so and well worth opening a bottle before then (2010 - 2011 perhaps).

For this reason I'm picking up two to three bottles of a particular wine, vintage that I have some confidence in so that I can sample it at different times.
Last edited by Aamer Sachedina on Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Aamer Sachedina

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:20 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Aamer Sachedina » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:16 pm

I made another trip to the wine store today (this is addictive!).

When we visited Italy a few years ago I loved all the wines there. So I decided that I really ought to add some Chianti. I also decided that it would be worth picking up a third bottle of Ripassa for the cellar.

With Hugh Johnson's help I added the following:

- 2 2004 Isole E Olena Chianti Classico for the cellar
- 1 more 2003 Ripassa Valplicella Superiore - total of 3 for the cellar.
- 1 2004 Thomas Hyland Shiraz for the drinking queue.

I think I will add one more Isole E Olena to make it 3.

I looked for Riojas but could find none that were in Hugh Johnsons book. I also decided to wait for the 2004 Duoros. I'm going to be in Austin in a couple of weeks so I'll take advantage of the good exchange rate and the better selection you folks enjoy. I'll be looking for some Riojas and 2004 Duoros - maybe 2 of each.

There are two Ontario wineries that I have heard are making impeccable wines - Stratus and Le Clos Jordanne (Pinot in the latter is very good I am told). For my birthday next month I was thinking a wine tasting trip might be in order to one or both of these - followed by (perhaps) a purchase - some for cellaring and some for drinking.

Anyone have any experience with their wines?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:29 am

Aamer Sachedina wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:Aamer
If you do a search for this wine (Bin 28 ), or 'palate callibration' you should see some recent notes from 2 or 3 people. The 2002 seemed much much better than the 03 and should be great for the cellar. It should cellar 10 years with ease (if you can wait that long) based on it's track record from previous decent vintages.

Ian et. al. - this is going to be a silly question so bear with me. When someone says 'cellar N years' - should I always assume this is N nears + vintage i.e. in this case drink by 2012?

Not a silly question at all - as people might mean n years from vintage or now. In this case I 'think' I meant by 2012, but it was a pretty rough and ready figure and should survive well after this.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:43 pm

Aamer Sachedina wrote:- 2 2003 Ripassa Valpolicella Superiore

I expect based on your comments and some research that these are ready now for the most part but I can safely cellar the Ripassa Volpolicella from this vintage for another 4-6 years, ... .

Aamer, Welcome to the Forum. It really is a great place to find lots of useful wine information, advice and assistance.

I bought many bottles of the Zenato Ripassa Valpolicella Superiore over a 3-year period. I found they were at their best up to 4 years from their vintage date. After that, you will begin to see a decline in fruit and overall appeal.

Enjoy and have fun with your new hobby.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

William K

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:28 pm

New Orleans

by William K » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:05 pm

Aamer,

On cellaring Riojas, a bit of background may be helpful. Spanish wine labelling allows for Crianzas, Riservas, and Gran Riservas, with increasing levels of age and (typically) oak. The Crianzas are the youngest and are generally appealing for their fruit-forwardness which can disappear with to much age. My experience with older Crianzas is off-and-on, but it seems that 6 years (from vintage) is plenty. I would drink up that '98 Marques de Caceres soon.

The Riservas and Gran Riservas are designed for longer aging, but those styles have never really rung my bell so I have next to no experience to offer on that topic. I think you'll find that there is expertise on darn near everything wine-related on this group, however, so if you post a question separately I'm sure you'll get better info than I can provide.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:01 pm

Hey, James, eat your heart out: I bought two more 97's at $32 each last weekend.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:08 pm

William K wrote:The Riservas and Gran Riservas are designed for longer aging, but those styles have never really rung my bell so I have next to no experience to offer on that topic. I think you'll find that there is expertise on darn near everything wine-related on this group, however, so if you post a question separately I'm sure you'll get better info than I can provide.

Those styles definitely aren't for everybody. They are for me, though. :D

I still remember very fondly 1973 and 1976 CVNE Gran Reservas enjoyed in the late 1980s. Unfortunately I have very little experience with that style of Rioja from more recent vintages. These can be very great wines.

-Paul W.
Previous